Rootstock for sandy soils? 4b; NE Wisconsin

CedarSwamp

5 year old buck +
We have a knoll in the swamp that seems to be fairly sandy. I looked it up on NRCS Web Soil Survey, but it classifies the soil as the same as the swamp around it. I’m guessing it’s actually Menominee Loamy Sand which is what the other high ground in the area is, but that’s just a guess. Regardless, I believe I’ll want a rootstock that is best for sandy soils.

We have a clearing on the south side of the hill with room for 8 - 10 Apple trees. The North side has some red oaks.

I want to plant some antonovka rootstock and B118 rootstock. There are some crabapples that I want from SLN which are on antonovka. Think that these are both good rootstock for a drier site?

Most of our property is wet so we’re usually dealing with low sites, not dry.

I think MM111 is best for sandy sites. More drought resistant.

Like you, I have varying soil conditions to deal with. Looking at some notes I made to myself, I can see the Antonovka and B.118 rootstock are supposedly “widely adapted”, while the M.111 prefers “well drained” soil. Frankly, I've plant both B.118 and M.111 in the same "sandy" location, and both have done well. I've not planted Antonovka, but I would not heistate to plant that one as well.

Below is cut and paste from Penn State:
1.) MM.111
A well anchored rootstock, resistant to woolly apple aphids, and tolerant of drier soil conditions. It is the most cold-hardy rootstock readily available. Trees on MM.111 are semi-standard to standard in size. Planting depth of this rootstock is critical. The union should be no higher than 1 to 2 inches above the final soil line.
2.) B.118
B.118 is a more vigorous clone out of the Minsk breeding program. It is more vigorous than the other rootstocks in the series but still imparts the high degree of winter-hardiness. It propagates easily in stool beds and does not sucker. It has moderate resistance to fire blight but is susceptible to Phytophthora. Because of the vigor of the rootstock it is only recommended for spur strains of apple or in weak soil or replant situations.

I think any of the rootstocks you are looking at will do fine in your location. But as the good proffessor points out, M.111 might be the best among equals. Good luck.

B118 has a more fibrous root system so anchors better in sand.

Thanks! That makes me feel better about my plan. I’m excited about this new apple orchard because it is an area we don’t bowhunt and close to some good bedding areas in a marsh. It’ll be a short walk for the deer from their sanctuary to food!

I have land in Rusk County WI on some somewhat sandy soil in a cold spot that is on the border of zone 3 and 4. The Antonovka trees from SLN are doing the best for me - I have a couple dozen from them up there. I also planted a few big box store trees on unknown rootstock and those trees are horrible - they grow 6" one year and then winterkill back 5". I also planted a dozen or so trees from Woodstock nursery in WI and they are doing fine as well. From what I've read the Antonovka rootstock is supposed to be the best for cold areas and from what I've seen that is accurate. I have not planted any B118's up there though, so I can't comment on that. I've planted B118's on sandy soil in SE MN and they have done about the same as Antonovka.

One thing to keep in mind is to remember to paint the SW side of your trees to prevent SW injury. That injury damaged a number of my trees before I knew the cause. Since I've painted the trunks those issues went away.