All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridge Area / Top

hesseu

5 year old buck +
We've got a section of our property that has a ridge top, and just below it to the west is a creek bottom. Here is a topo map of the area. Curious as to how you would set up on this area....Section in black outline is our property. No hunting on properties around this small piece. Ridge Area.jpg

I would assume the green "bench" area would be used for bedding, if not, I would encourage it, if it would not compromise access to the lower areas to the north(assuming N is "up"). Blue star would be a decent setup for a north wind to catch deer coming off that bench, or maybe move it to the right a bit where the small "dip" is in the contour line. The red line is a distinct funnel at the base of the ridge. The orange star would be a good setup in a north/west/NW wind to catch bucks cruising along that drainage during the rut. THE single most important thing to remember when hunting areas like this is that the wind will almost never do what you expect and will screw you at the least opportune moments. In areas like this, it is imperative that you get some boots on the ground and actually test the wind currents FROM up in a tree in the areas you wish to hunt. Thermals and swirling are your worst enemy and only you checking them in all types of conditions will allow you to hunt this and not get busted. Scout, learn the wind, plan your attack, good luck!

Ridge Area.jpg

That's a prime looking bedding point for a buck on a south wind. Have you scouted along the military crest looking for beds in the spring. I wouldn't set up right on the point but if you can determine where he'll go when he leaves his bed you may be able to set up on an off wind. All tough to do without knowing where the buck's actual bed is. Does probably bed somewhere on the point too, maybe more towards the top of the ridge above the military crest. For great info on how bucks and does bed and travel in hill country check out the video called Hill Country Bucks. Great resource!

The yellow dot is where we currently have a stand on the creek bottom. It is a spot where you probably won't see as many deer as other spots, but so far it has proved a place of not if, but when a mature buck will pass through there.
The white spot is where we plan on putting up a stand tomorrow. Have a camera on a feeder on the ridge (just north of the white spot more towards the finger), and it has had a lot of buck activity. Hoping this one pans out. I think it should be a great spot once November gets here. Since access is from the west, I plan on keeping the stand on the West side of the ridge so I don't cross over it and muck it up with scent. In the morning, with thermals rising, I'm hoping it will really pan out for scent protection. Ridge Area Stands.jpg

I think the flatter area just north (where Wisc noted) of where you plan on putting this new stand may hold deer. To access this stand from the west your going to have a pretty steep climb and that's going to be difficult to do and be quiet at the same time. If you came in from the west you will want to hunt with the wind from the east or the northerly directions. I see a green strip south of your potential stand sight that may be cover or a feeding area and winds from the north may disrupt those deer - if those are the deer your hunting. I would look for signs of bedding and trails in that area and really focus on how you can get in and out and where the deer coming from and going to. Some places just can't be hunted well and all you can do is hunt where they come in or out....elevation changes will guide the deer but can also be a pain when it comes to the winds and thermals as well. Also consider the cover in that area - the deer could be sitting there and watching you go to and from your stand.....and that doesn't help either. Good luck.

I would want to see at least the surrounding 1/4 mile of this parcel. If that point leads to another hill or point, are surrounding areas higher or lower elevations. That would make predicting thermo's, winds and stand and access ideas much easier.

I would want to see at least the surrounding 1/4 mile of this parcel. If that point leads to another hill or point, are surrounding areas higher or lower elevations. That would make predicting thermo's, winds and stand and access ideas much easier.

I would also like to see the surrounding area.
hesseu, you don't mention what part of the season, or even the time of day (thermal air issues) you expect to hunt this parcel.
IMO, in many cases, there may a big difference how a property is hunted just before the rut vs setting up on stable movement patterns of the early season. On some small properties, we don't always have the luxury of several stand choices, but that isn't the norm...we almost always benefit from having multiple stands. Sometimes, in order to play the wind, they may even be as little as 25 yards apart.

For the period during the cruising phase, I think a lot of us get tunnel vision and we don't look at the big picture in terms of mature bucks traveling long distances. We end up looking at only our property and we forget about how surrounding travel corridors effect how bucks enter and travel throughout our own place.
On my Ohio properties, it took me a long time until I realized I needed to look at the big picture. I was stuck in the mindset of seeing only the deer sign where I had permission to hunt. When I started seeing how that property tied into the surrounding properties, then I started to see the bigger patterns of buck movement in big, rural country. Then it was easier to fine-tune my exact stand locations.
It's harder to predict large patterns of movement in suburbia...too many disruptions from human activity.

Analyzing how funnels, edges and terrain features connect to surrounding properties and cover is vital.
It's great to know where bucks bed in the early season, but when things start getting "romantic", I'd rather key-in on doe bedding areas. I believe the locations of doe beds predict where bucks will be more so than those early season buck bedding areas will. There's really no predicting where a buck may be bedding just prior to the peak, but you can bet he will be checking out doe beds. The areas of logical travel corridors between doe beds is the place to be...IF you can access the area and IF you have stable wind patterns to hunt.

I really don't see a "one-size fits all" type of stand location in your ariel pic. Depending on which direction the prevailing wind hits that ridge will determine where you can set-up. When wind blows parallel to a ridge, wind patterns are more stable than when they blow perpendicular to a ridge. The down-wind side then becomes a low pressure area with swirling winds while the up-wind side is high pressure with more stablehand that tends to rise.
From that limited area we can see in your image, I'd say that property could/should have several stand sites. 90% of them may not be ideal 90% of the time but when things are "right", those seldom hunted stands will be fresh and undisturbed.

Great words of wisdom guys...Thank you! Attached is the aerial of the whole property, and current stand locations (circled areas is where we've done some hinge cutting). Yellow is stand locations (the stand I located on the ridge this weekend is slightly west of where it is called out on this map). Red line is main access (we do have cut trails through this property) to all stand sites. I plan on getting in there in the morning, as I actually have a clear walking area directly up from the creek bottom. We cleaned out a nice path this weekend. Stand is right at 22 ft. If I get an easterly wind, I am going to get in during the afternoon late October and see what comes in as this ridge is a white oak flat. The stand does sit 15 yards west a trail that has been for an atve / utv cut along the ridge top. The trail goes north and south. We have a mineral site and feeder up there, with a lot of activity according to our camera this sStand locations.jpg ummer (these are around 125 yards north of the stand location).
My plan of action is to not hunt this stand until November gets here...or as mentioned above, a nice easterly wind on a late October afternoon.
This ridge is also 3/4 of a mile from the closest road. And nearly 1 mile to any other road.

For great info on how bucks and does bed and travel in hill country check out the video called Hill Country Bucks. Great resource!

I strongly second that.

I just drew in couple things I see by your map that have worked for me. Since you have same as other surrounding elevations wind should be good towards top. Since it is east facing will have strong thermos on sunny days by 9 am or so. Odor should go straight up good. Should be good calm sunny days or most winds with east in them. I noted was a good ditch or steep cut where I placed access. I would use that then put stand just above cut and below trail (should be one just above that cut.) I would not cross onto that point any further. I would ad water hole in shooting range by just shoveling out small 3' X 3' and 18" deep hole ad about 50 lbs bentonite rake in good (100 if real sandy) then let mother natures take care of. Should alway's hold some water even if deer have to punch in with foot to access water. It will get used. I drew another stand location at base for back up on extreme wind days or calm evenings when thremo start going back down. (usually last 1/2 hour).

Hanging a few ribbons in area when first learning new stand areas can be very helpful.
Wind ribbon.JPG

Stand locations.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tap
What direction does the prevailing wind come from ??
I agree with Whip at post #2 on the blue star stand location for his reasons - plus I see a ravine coming up on both sides of the ridge right toward the stand location. ( the " v " shapes in the contour lines ). In my experience, deer like to travel in those types of ravines and to have one on either side of the blue star stand location and having the bench below me would spell " intersection " to me. I'd access the stand location from the south property line along the " L " shaped strip to try to catch deer coming up the ravines to bed on the bench. Ravines / hollows / swales have been very good spots to watch in my 45 years of deer hunting. During the rut, I've seen bucks using ravines and hollows like staircases to cruise from one area to another checking for hot does. I suspect they " sniff " their way on air currents that funnel up or down those ravines.