5 year old buck +
Little. Curious if this is one.
2d7b36bf57115f07275d5319c5eef2ba.jpg
fd6ae74eb27e3a625fb9b0f84b3f47ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No

I second gobble... no.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Get closer and see if it has vertical slits for pupils :-)

I know this is old news video but couldn't resist. This is what rattlers look like:)

But what is it? The head looks somewhat triangular.

Triangular head doesn't mean much. What state are you in, location can help with id.

A rattler would have pits,elliptical eyes , and a continuous anal plate in addition to rattle

Now just who the f*** is going to get that close to verify?

bill

Reactions: Tap
How long is that snake?

This is what a timber rattler looks like. I was standing on the back deck drinking coffee a few weeks ago and spotted him trying to crawl under my deck. I have found them on my front door mat.

E87E42C4-6B52-4CD4-AC5C-B97DBF304817.jpeg

Little. Curious if this is one.
2d7b36bf57115f07275d5319c5eef2ba.jpg
fd6ae74eb27e3a625fb9b0f84b3f47ec.jpg

So this is in southern tier of NYS. The snake was still small, maybe 10" long. I know we can have Rattlers just wasn't sure if this could be one. The full snake pic shows something on the tip of the tail (could be left over skin/shedding?).

I'm going to guess either "short-headed garter snake", "queen snake", or maybe "brown snake".

Looks like a Midland brown snake, genus Storeria, also known as Dekay snake. The way it is flattened out there is a defense mechanism used by many snake species. Totally harmless.

Tree Daddy, post #8 - Continuous anal plate ???? Wanna tell us how you check for THAT, Tex ????? !!!!! Rubber glove ??? Bend 'em over a table ??? :emoji_thinking: :emoji_astonished: :emoji_laughing:

Tree Daddy, post #8 - Continuous anal plate ???? Wanna tell us how you check for THAT, Tex ????? !!!!! Rubber glove ??? Bend 'em over a table ??? :emoji_thinking::emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

precisely the point of my post!

Mr Rattler would have to roll over on his back

Scales below anal plate in rattlers and pit vipers are in continuous single rows as opposed to interlocking rows in non venomous snakes

bill

T.D. - ^^^^ I knew what your point was ……………. I was just imagining explaining to a greenhorn one way to ID if it's a rattler. " You just roll him over and check his poop chute area and if the scales go this way ……………. " Can you just see the look you'd get ?? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

2f8b5dd88d58f44279e3bb5311c8400f.jpg
a012d6008016dcbe5b92134eefdc6a5b.jpg

The Root River Valley in S E Mn has quite a few timber rattlers. This is their general coloration. They can be found sunning themselves on the bike path regularly. The two biggest snakes in these pictures were over 6’ long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

precisely the point of my post!

Mr Rattler would have to roll over on his back

Scales below anal plate in rattlers and pit vipers are in continuous single rows as opposed to interlocking rows in non venomous snakes

bill

I would probably buy her lunch first before any anal play!