Full camps and changing winds

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Curious how everyone handles a full camp when you don’t have enough stands to place everyone when the wind is wrong?

Around here, it seems most weekenders just hunt the one stand they have, regardless of wind. When it’s just me, I always let the wind pick where I sit. It gets tricky when camp is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When our family had the 90 acres in the 9-day shotgun zone, we just picked a stand and hunted. Some were very wind specific, but some the deer could and would come from anywhere, especially If being bumped off other properties.
when I bow hunt, I always use the wind. If I don’t have the right wind, I scout for a different spot.

Make some portable blinds.

I'm working on another now but don't have any free time to finish it, so for a backup I pitched a tent in the old oat spreader.

20231109_101353.jpg

What implement can you use now?

I have a few very basic blinds Take some 2x4's and make an H. Get some dead branches and start covering them up a bit with it. Takes an hour and costs $10. I use pressure treated 2x4's and soak them in motor oil before driving them into the ground. On the top of the H put a few branches to break out you head's outline.

When I had extra firewood at my old home, I would make a blind out of stacked firewood. Use 2 pieces of 2x4 to make a roof for the gun opening. Take a small strip of wood to rest your gun on.

Shot a buck and a doe once with one during muzzleloader season. All the dumbies were looking at deer that just got shot. Slowly reloaded. Had about 3 acres and a 3/4 acre food plot out back. Was up past midnight cutting those deer up. Two trees close to each other and it doesn't take much firewood to make.

Bow season and you got regulars. Clean up a couple of trees for a climbing stand.

Reactions: 356
Shared a box blind with my dad last night partially due to not a ton of options for the existing wind. I could have went to the same stand i sat in for the morning that's about 140 yards away but both bucks I saw in the morning walked between me and the box blind.

I usually rent a skid steer every year for a day or two, to take care of things like this. I'm planning to build another 1 or 2 blinds next summer. I make them out of 2x3's and landscape fabric. It takes about a weekend to build and place one. I'm adding platforms to them this year, so that'll make things interesting. I'm not trying to go up very high, likely just 3' legs on them. Any higher and I just get into the brush canopy.

These are all spots I intend to make permanent, so I'm gonna go permanent right away with the time and energy.

We have about two stands for each wind direction. I sit with someone or just don’t hunt much on the weekend and let someone else hunt.

Those who hunt public land often don’t have a choice on opening weekend. Someone sits there, wrong wind or not.

A stout set of pruning shears, some dyed burlap, a foldable swivel three legged chair:

Often I just rely on the pruning shears.

Nobody with mobile setups? I can hang and hunt a bunch of places. But I’m normally only worried about me. If my kids ever start hunting, I’ll probably just sit with them in a blind.

Nobody with mobile setups? I can hang and hunt a bunch of places. But I’m normally only worried about me. If my kids ever start hunting, I’ll probably just sit with them in a blind.

Most of the type of people I’d be worried about accommodating in camp shouldn’t even be in a hang on much less doing a hang and hunt haha! I have done hang and hunts on occasion to allow others to use the set blinds/ladder stands though.

Not yet. Looking to get a saddle before next season.

Not yet. Looking to get a saddle before next season.

I use one for bow hunting occasionally but they kind of suck with guns IMO.

Hardest decision for my bunch is staring at map trying to pick the right stand.
IMG_0083.jpeg

Why do they suck with guns?
Lots of extra movement maneuvering a gun around the bridge. If you leave it laid across the bridge, it really telegraphs slight movements. Also can be a little tricky getting a steady hold depending on the shot setup.

Lots of extra movement maneuvering a gun around the bridge. If you leave it laid across the bridge, it really telegraphs slight movements. Also can be a little tricky getting a steady hold depending on the shot setup.

Guess I'll have to practice. I've never hunted from a harness, so the whole thing will probably require a few days of climbing up and down trees in order to prepare for hunting from it.

I am tired of the limitations of ladder stands, and I don't have the budget for multiple box blinds and towers. The flexibility of a harness is really attractive to me.

Saturday Walked past my old blind made out of pallets. Still usesble with a few minutes of pruning.

Put it up for my wife. Tried hunting a few times 4 or 5 years ago.

Surprised a metal folding chair holds my pudgy self after being outdoors for half a decade.

Guess I'll have to practice. I've never hunted from a harness, so the whole thing will probably require a few days of climbing up and down trees in order to prepare for hunting from it.

I am tired of the limitations of ladder stands, and I don't have the budget for multiple box blinds and towers. The flexibility of a harness is really attractive to me.
I find that every type of stand has its limitations. It's just a matter of finding what suits the situation the best. There is a bit of a learning curve with saddles, or at least a number of things to futz with, so definitely a good idea to practice.

That wagon in post #3 worked for my kid's deer. We placed it in an easy access spot for oddball winds and it's just what we needed that morning. Was dead calm and heavy frost, so didn't want to crunch our way in to more sensitive areas.