Raccoon trapping

I’ve had good luck with a large marshmallow stuffed under the lever in the dp. What do y’all use for bait?

Has anyone else seen a reduction of coon numbers after that severe cold front?I had pics with as many as 16 under a feeder and I trapped a few but since cold front I have had pictures of 1 in a week and thats with temps from 35 to 60 degrees so plenty warm for them to be out.

Has anyone else seen a reduction of coon numbers after that severe cold front?I had pics with as many as 16 under a feeder and I trapped a few but since cold front I have had pictures of 1 in a week and thats with temps from 35 to 60 degrees so plenty warm for them to be out.
Buckdeer1,

I don’t see (or catch) many coons during a strong cold front. They tend to be most active during warmups in the winter, but that is only a non-scientific observation. The days of seeing large groups are gone…its been a few years (since I started trapping the property) that I have seen large groups under the bird feeders. I am interested in hearing what others have observed.

Coons do hibernate some not like bears do but some so during cold snaps they stay in bed.

Reactions: 356
I was really bad a week ago but has been pretty warn lately just haven't seen any since cold front.Did you know that bears don't really hibernate?

Coons do hibernate some not like bears do but some so during cold snaps they stay in bed.
I've had the traps out the last two days...hopefully this weekends warmup will get some more action. On one hand, I am glad I am seeing a slowdown, as it shows the trapping effort has definitely reduced the numbers for this spring.

They stopped showing up on trail cameras during the snowy cold front in Kentucky over Christmas. But they are back full force now. Reading this thread coaxed me to buy some DP traps. Will try them next visit.

This morning I was able to check each trap (rather than a quick visual from the SxS to see if something was in the trap). 9 of 12 traps were empty, meaning something enjoyed the cat-food/marshmallow blend of bait without tripping the trigger. I've had this happen before, and it usually requires taking the traps out of the field, giving them a good boiling and cleaning...which I didn't do. Instead, I re-baited them and will hope for the best :-) I have some more traps I need to deploy, so I hope to get those into the field later this afternoon.

Is there any market for the coon furs?? Just wondering. Used to be good money makers.

Is there any market for the coon furs?? Just wondering. Used to be good money makers.
Here in Missouri there is no market. The one trapper I know has been filling freezers with pelts "hoping the market will come back." He said buyers are not even taking coon pelts.

Are raccoons easy enough to trap in a weekend? I don't live close enough to my land to do real trapping but if whenever I'm there for 3 of 4 days would it be worth it to set a few traps and see if I can catch a few in just a night or two?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Are raccoons easy enough to trap in a weekend? I don't live close enough to my land to do real trapping but if whenever I'm there for 3 of 4 days would it be worth it to set a few traps and see if I can catch a few in just a night or two?

Yes. They are easy and if around you can make catches on your first night. A smelly bait like tuna or marshmallows with fish oil can attract them from a distance.

As Catscratch noted, the answer is a resounding "Yes!" Since June 1 I have trapped 68 coons and 12 possums on just 2 of our 85 acres. Most of this has been one or two days at a time, since the main office of my full-time job is 165 miles away. I also have a remote property that I am at just once or two days per month. I generally will get one, or even two, egg-eating varmints if I put our a few DP traps.

Latest fur market report says buyers mostly want XXXL and up of extra heavy raccoons, bringing up to $15 at auction. Country buyer prices of $5-10 for those. Smaller sizes, early season, or damaged skins have zero value.

Here in Missouri there is no market. The one trapper I know has been filling freezers with pelts "hoping the market will come back." He said buyers are not even taking coon pelts.
What a shame these days. Good resource wasted. We used to get $35 to $40 for large coons.

This morning I was able to check each trap (rather than a quick visual from the SxS to see if something was in the trap). 9 of 12 traps were empty, meaning something enjoyed the cat-food/marshmallow blend of bait without tripping the trigger. I've had this happen before, and it usually requires taking the traps out of the field, giving them a good boiling and cleaning...which I didn't do. Instead, I re-baited them and will hope for the best :-) I have some more traps I need to deploy, so I hope to get those into the field later this afternoon.

Trypolishing and waxing the trigger. And set the trigger as light as you dare.

For me it’s just like a deer stand. Your first set is always your best sit. Hot dogs fried, sardines, tuna and marshmallows. Any of those. I’ve even used meatballs that were in my fridge a tad to long for me to eat..

Let's also talk about what can be done with the carcasses. I've left them under apple trees. Inside cages they don't get messed with by scavengers and decompose rather quickly. The wife didn't particularly like that one. I know they can be hot composted but I haven't tried it. Considered burying them in plots with a cow pattie. Might be worth it I'd they increase microbe populations in that area, but that could turn into a lot of digging. I would like to remove egg eaters AND benefit plots if possible.

. Might be worth it I'd they increase microbe populations in that area, but that could turn into a lot of digging.

I've hung them from trees when the digging got to be too much. Best if no one goes to that area for a while. Looks rather macabre.