Raccoon trapping

bueller

Last night was my first time ever setting traps. Even though it was really cold overnight a little beginners luck got me on the board. Duke dog proofs with marshmallows.
IMG_20220327_093649427~2.jpg
IMG_20220327_093736299.jpg
IMG_20220327_115358995.jpg

Congrats on the catch. It can be addictive!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It’s a shame they aren’t worth anything, we used to get $25 for big ones when I was in school.
A good fur price would sure thin them down good.

Back in the mid to late 80’s we were getting $40 for a large hide. It wasn’t just fun back then, it was a lot of money. Between myself and a friend, we had 3 dogs, and it wasn’t anything to get a 10-15 coon night. We would occasionally get 25 a few nights in prime spots.

I invested a lot into coon hunting at the time, and trapping. Then the market crashed for hides. I still have some of my hunting equipment, but I had gotten rid of my coon dogs about 10 years ago.

It was hard to not go out at nights when I knew I could make more hunting then I could at work the next day, but a guy needed to sleep, even a teenager.

After they got into our chicken coop once, I lost any remorse. Dog proof traps and miniature marshmellows are what I use. I put them in the freezer which makes handling them easier.

I trap the nest raiders off my property every year. No one traps them anymore because they arent worth anything. Last year I trapped 40 coons and several possums off my place and the turkey poult survival was fantastic.

I trap the nest raiders off my property every year. No one traps them anymore because they arent worth anything. Last year I trapped 40 coons and several possums off my place and the turkey poult survival was fantastic.
i do the same thing in wi and you can see a noticeable difference on a specific property in turkey broods

just don't wire your dog proof traps to the metal post on an active electric fence. If the coon jumps the fence and gets wrapped up he's going to have a long terrible night.
Don't ask how I know this.....:emoji_disappointed:

those things are a nuisance!

I can't wait to get back out there for more, play time is so limited these days.

Got a couple more, this time with dog food. Marshmallow sets were untouched.

Reactions: 356
Kill em all. My 6 year old loves to check traps with me. She gives me a play by play as we drive out to the field to dispatch them. “Dad I think he is trying to escape” she says!!

Kill em all. My 6 year old loves to check traps with me. She gives me a play by play as we drive out to the field to dispatch them. “Dad I think he is trying to escape” she says!!
Yep, my two boys are hooked also. Wish I had a longer stretch of days off, tough being a weekender.

Yep, my two boys are hooked also. Wish I had a longer stretch of days off, tough being a weekender.
That’s so good to hear.

Curious. What do people do with the dead ones?

I let nature eat mine. After dispatching then I take them out to my field edge and let them get eaten by whatever. Usually within a few weeks there is only a partial hide left. Sometimes the entire thing is gone.

Curious. What do people do with the dead ones?

I try to bury them next to an oak or apple tree. Sometimes I hang them from a tree over water.