Purchasing Scion Wood

gunfun13

5 year old buck +
I've started looking at alternate plans for Scion Wood this year just incase GRIN doesn't come through. I've found some sources that are in the $4-5 range for 8-12" sticks. How many grafts should I get per stick? I was thinking 2-3, in which case I'll have more money into scions than I do rootstocks, which seems silly. Any one have a prefered scion vendor?

Last edited:
That price is about the going rate for scion. I'm sure there are guys on this board who would send you scion for free or a small fee to cover shipping costs. Also on facebook there is the North American Scion Exchange with lots of guys trading scion. I'd post what varieties you are looking for and see if anyone here can help you out.

^^^^^ Yep - post up what you're looking for.

Someone posted a note about this nursery the other day: https://39thparallel.com/product/apple-scion/ As I was checking it out, I noticed they are selling 10"-12" sticks for $3.50. Don't know if they have the varieties you want. I typically get 3 bench grafts out of a good 12" stick. It often depends on how much flexibility I have in diameter matching. If you have rootstock to spare, you can probably get 4 if you are willing to match a single side.

Thanks,

jack

I ordered scions from Masonville Orchards in Colorado. $3.50 per stick, $3.00 for more than 50. Although he does say that with their short growing season to only expect 1/4" diameters.

Last year there was a thread for guys to list scions for exchange. I'd assume that'll be up in few weeks

I ordered scions from Masonville Orchards in Colorado. $3.50 per stick, $3.00 for more than 50. Although he does say that with their short growing season to only expect 1/4" diameters.

1/4" caliper scion and root stock it what I prefer to work with, not to big and not too small...

I had heard how small the Grin scion can be so last year I made sure I got 1/4" root stock, well most of my grin scion showed up at about 3/8" calp. A bunch of my grafts were made deep at the base - basically at the roots and a few were only lined up on one side... Still had a high success rate. You should be able to get 2-3 and sometimes 4 grafts per stick depending on number of bud sites.

I had heard how small the Grin scion can be so last year I made sure I got 1/4" root stock, well most of my grin scion showed up at about 3/8" calp. A bunch of my grafts were made deep at the base - basically at the roots and a few were only lined up on one side... Still had a high success rate. You should be able to get 2-3 and sometimes 4 grafts per stick depending on number of bud sites.
I don't think I've ever gotten small scion from GRIN ever in the 3 years I've gotten scion from them they are always very large caliper.

I don't think I've ever gotten small scion from GRIN ever in the 3 years I've gotten scion from them they are always very large caliper.

Maybe it is the specific varieties and the order they fill requests.

Thanks guy's, I'll put scion requests on yoderjac's thread

Same here. I've used GRIN-ARS for a number of years and several dozen varieties, and have yet to receive a scion that I'd call small.

I've gotten a mix whether for apple or pear. Some were tiny little things and they send 4 twigs. If decent size, they normally send 2 sticks. Even for the tiny stuff, I give it a shot with 2 pieces in a cleft graft.

With their normal sized sticks, you could get 4 to 6 grafts from each stick which is more than i normally do. If you want more, you can try chip budding now or Tbud from succesful bench grafts in August.

I've gotten a mix whether for apple or pear. Some were tiny little things and they send 4 twigs. If decent size, they normally send 2 sticks. Even for the tiny stuff, I give it a shot with 2 pieces in a cleft graft.

With their normal sized sticks, you could get 4 to 6 grafts from each stick which is more than i normally do. If you want more, you can try chip budding now or Tbud from succesful bench grafts in August.

That is a good point. I did not have much success with chip or t-budding but it was my first try and my skills were poor. If you can figure out how to be successful at it, you can make a much more efficient use of scions.