2019 Scion wood exchange

I will have some too!

Franklin or Kerr? If you want Franklin you are third on the list, I probably will have enough for one more person after that for sure. I will have to look at my trees to see if I can get any more than that. I am thinking I will have a bit more than that but I want to check before promising any.

I have 6 Franklin trees that need lots of pruning.

All six look like this. You can see 2 more in the background. They were pruned back to a single leader last winter. Great growth last year.

Attachments

• 0B8B629A-E61C-425D-A7A4-B9420F36C9B8.jpeg
    0B8B629A-E61C-425D-A7A4-B9420F36C9B8.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 33
My mistake. Lol, my reading comprehension is a little off today. I have 6 Franklin trees also, only two look like yours. Classic case of trying to grow a tree where I want it to be as opposed to a spot that is right for an apple tree.

I have the following
Liberty
Cinnamon spice
Chestnut
July red (limited supply)
Malinda
Akero
Sweet bough
Uralian butter
Almata (limited supply)
Grimes golden
Coconut crunch
Arkansas black
Kingston black
Golden russet
Honey crisp
Spigold
Porters perfection
Ramsdell sweet
Dobbins
Smokehouse
Jonagold
Gold rush
Hewes
Dolgo
Yates
Ashmeads kernel
Empire
Redfield (limited supply)
Northern spy

Pears: luscious, Seckel, kieffer, gin, harrow

Interested in obtaining:
(#missingmygrinorder)
Enterprise
Freedom
Espous spitzenburg
Idared
San jacinto
Dabinett
Foxwhelp
Michelin
Baldwin
Golden hornet
Egremont russet
Belle de boskoop

To add on to my previous list, I'm also interested in any of the SLN late hanging crabs (Violi, wildlife crab, all winter hang over), and Zestar!

Last edited:
Kinda crazy this fruit bug thing! Told myself I wasn’t gonna fool with grafting anymore after some failures. Planned to just order a handful of trees each yr. Well after identifying what I was doing wrong I got the bug again! More rootstock en route:)!
P.S. Anyone have black oxford out there???

With the GRIN orders probably not happening I want to make sure I get out front of what I’m looking for.

I have available (this list will grow when the weather breaks and I look at my trees in the orchard to see what will be trimmed and have scion available.

Apple:
Brushy Mtn Limbertwig
Chesnut Crab
Cortland
Enterprise
Fuji Red Sport 2
Gala
Granny Smith
Kentucky Limbertwig
Myer’s Royal Limbertig
Pink Pearl
Pinova (Pinata, Corail, Sonata)
Rosedale Crab
Zestar

Pear:
Flemish Beauty

Wanted:

Apple:
Bakers Delicious
Devonshire Quarrenden
Frostbite

Gravenstein
Irish Peach
Lord Lamborne

Opalescent
Paula Red

Pear:
Kalle (Clap)

Of coarse if anyone wants scions from them old trees let me know and I’ll be happy to hook you up.
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...of-grafting-complete.2930/page-24#post-168583

Last edited:
Kinda crazy this fruit bug thing! Told myself I wasn’t gonna fool with grafting anymore after some failures. Planned to just order a handful of trees each yr. Well after identifying what I was doing wrong I got the bug again! More rootstock en route:)!
P.S. Anyone have black oxford out there???
Definitely addicting.
I checked my black oxford today.....the deer ripped it down and ate all the scions . If you can’t find any this year I will hopefully have some next year, the graft union is covered by a tree tube so the tree should grow back.

NEPA I HAVE THE FOLLOWING

Interested in obtaining:
(#missingmygrinorder)
Enterprise
Freedom
Espous spitzenburg
Idared
Dabinett
Foxwhelp
Michelin
Baldwin
Belle de boskoop[/QUOTE]

You can come up and cut them yourself or I can ship to you but way more fun to prune yourself and see what you might like. My Dabinett may be chancy

I have the following:
Apple:

Fuji
Fuji Sun
Gala
Honeycrisp

Pear:
Bosc

Plum:
Burbank
Bubblegum
Unknown small purple ripens in August

Not scions, but seedlings:
Dunstan chestnut

Looking for late season apple varieties. I would like some Dolgo and 30-06. Also, plum and pear varieties.
I have Dolgo but may be small diameter

I have 100 roostock coming this spring and with GRIN maybe not happening this year, I might be looking for a bunch. I'm going to post what I can remember I have and might have to look back at some notes and check each tree for scion availability. I will edit as I go!
Small Chunk I have
Apple:
Honeycrisp
Arkansas Black
Enterprise
Macoun
NY Bonkers
Liberty
Honey Gold
Sweet Sixteen

Crab Apples:
Chestnut Crab

Great minds think alike: I also am looking for large-fruiting crabs, specifically:

Kerr
Martha
Norland (debateable whether this is a crab but...)
Trailman
Red Vein
Transcendent
Yellow Siberian

Also any of the amazing russets such as golden russet or pomme grise or Hudson's Golden Gem. Fedco has some of these but want to mention here too.

I will happily send $5 for two sticks of each of these. Much appreciated - All my apples are too small to swap unfortunately - maybe in 2020 they will be swapp-able.

With the GRIN orders probably not happening I want to make sure I get out front of what I’m looking for.

I have available (this list will grow when the weather breaks and I look at my trees in the orchard to see what will be trimmed and have scion available.

Apple:
Brushy Mtn Limbertwig
Chesnut Crab
Cortland
Enterprise
Fuji Red Sport 2
Gala
Granny Smith
Kentucky Limbertwig
Myer’s Royal Limbertig
Pink Pearl
Pinova (Pinata, Corail, Sonata)
Rosedale Crab
Zestar

Pear:
Flemish Beauty

Wanted:

Apple:
Bakers Delicious
Devonshire Quarrenden
Frostbite
Gravenstein
Irish Peach
Lord Lamborne

Opalescent
Paula Red

Pear:
Kalle (Clap)

Of coarse if anyone wants scions from them old trees let me know and I’ll be happy to hook you up.
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...of-grafting-complete.2930/page-24#post-168583
Hey Dan

I can send you Bakers Delicious and Devonshire Quarrenden. I'll be cutting mid to late Feb.

Hey Dan

I can send you Bakers Delicious and Devonshire Quarrenden. I'll be cutting mid to late Feb.

Pefect thanks R!

I am interested in getting a few more varieties of late dropping pear, november or later for zone 6, I already have kieffer, johantorp, Korean giant, and supposed to be getting harrow sweet from a member here, if I am missing any late dropping pears and you have them I am interested and would pay shipping. My trees have very little extra scion to trade as of now, hopefully next year.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

It looks like the other guys have pretty much listed every variety I will have available, except for maybe a few scions I could cut from a Braeburn that bore its first apple this year. I do have one other option though, for someone who wants to propagate a tree that drops its apples during the rut where it is growing in central Wisconsin.

The tree that the scions would come from was bought at a nursery about 24 years ago, with its label missing. It was planted in rocky sand in a frost pocket in zone 4b with 50% shade about a foot or so in elevation above the adjacent swamp. It got no lime, fertilizer, mouse protection, rabbit protection, mulch, spraying, or pruning. It has turned out to be the best rut-time apple tree on that property, dropping from about Halloween through about the third week of November. Photo attached. (The really tall trunk behind it is a different tree.)

I’ll have extra scions from it left over after grafting several myself. I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at grafting a GoldRush or Galarina scion this year as well to add to my collection if someone doesn’t mind parting with one of those.

Attachments

• Jane Doe Variety.jpg
    Jane Doe Variety.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 29
Looks like a great tree to have for the rut !! Good apple load on it for sure.

For info on Roxbury Russet ( and many other apples ), look on www.orangepippintrees.com click apple trees on the right side of the page and scroll down to Roxbury Russet. It gives info on it's history, traits, DR qualities, etc.

EDIT: I posted this Roxbury Russet info on the wrong thread !! ^^^^^ :emoji_confused: I put the info over in the correct thread now.

Last edited:
I wonder how many scions GRIN will get out during the next couple week reprieve? The web site says they are taking orders again.

Thanks,

Jack

Purvis is commercial source of scionwood I've not come across before. It looks like they have some cold weather varieties of interest to some northern folks that might be hard to find. Based on the number of USDA zone 3 pears, their zone listing may be optimistic.

https://purvisnurseryandorchard.weebly.com/scions.html