PTO shaft question

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
Quick question for you tractor experts. One of the things I’m learning with moving up to larger CAT II implements is that they are a little more tricky hooking up solo since I can’t budge them on my own. I just picked up a solid bush hog semi mount mower that pairs well with the tractor. The previous owner had it sitting outside and the shaft and coupler were dirty and not sliding well when we first got it back to the barn. I had just run myself out out of grease since I burned through a couple tubes fixing up the old hydraulic disc so we didn’t have any “extra” grease. I cleaned up the coupler and then hit the shaft sliding with some PB blaster and WD40. It was a pain to get hooked up but I think a lot of that was the that coupler and drive shaft (on the mower) need a good lubing. Any suggestions on what to use on the drive shaft and coupler to keep them lubed up and sliding on much easier? With the quick hitch on there and the increased weight of everything, the easier this damn thing goes on the better. Just wondering if you all have any suggestions on the best thing to use for both the coupler and shaft (and when I say shaft, I mean the the PTO shaft that slides and attaches to the tractor; the PTO drive on the tractor is lubed fine)...just not sure if I standard grease is fine or if any of you tractor pros have a better suggestion. Thanks

Attachments

• 54BD088E-21C5-475E-B943-AF1DBE89B5A3.jpeg
    54BD088E-21C5-475E-B943-AF1DBE89B5A3.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 21
When I got my mower the pro shaft would hardly move. I hooked a chain to the 4 wheeler to get it to slide apart. Cleaned it and used regular grease.

May not be the best but it still slides a few years later.

When I got my mower the pro shaft would hardly move. I hooked a chain to the 4 wheeler to get it to slide apart. Cleaned it and used regular grease.

May not be the best but it still slides a few years later.
We didn’t have to quite do that to get it apart but it was a PIA. Was going to use regular heavy duty grease but just making sure I wasn’t missing something that the folks that do this for a living do.

I just had one heck of a battle with my tiller and PTO shaft. The shaft is "triangular" shaped. I never noticed before that there must be some kind of orientation it requires. After fighting it for almost an hour, I got mad a really pulled it apart with the tractor and a strap. I was at my wits end, not sure what else to do. The shaft didn't seem dry and I sprayed everything I owned on it. After pulling it apart I realized it would only slide in one of the 3 possible orientations. Probably a little wear caused that.

Usually I just grease it. If I was going to store it outside I might used marine grease as water won't wash it out.

Next year I'm going to test the orientation before I hook up to it :emoji_head_bandage:

-John

Typically, the triangle shafts will correctly orient in only one position.

Quick question for you tractor experts. One of the things I’m learning with moving up to larger CAT II implements is that they are a little more tricky hooking up solo since I can’t budge them on my own. I just picked up a solid bush hog semi mount mower that pairs well with the tractor. The previous owner had it sitting outside and the shaft and coupler were dirty and not sliding well when we first got it back to the barn. I had just run myself out out of grease since I burned through a couple tubes fixing up the old hydraulic disc so we didn’t have any “extra” grease. I cleaned up the coupler and then hit the shaft sliding with some PB blaster and WD40. It was a pain to get hooked up but I think a lot of that was the that coupler and drive shaft (on the mower) need a good lubing. Any suggestions on what to use on the drive shaft and coupler to keep them lubed up and sliding on much easier? With the quick hitch on there and the increased weight of everything, the easier this damn thing goes on the better. Just wondering if you all have any suggestions on the best thing to use for both the coupler and shaft (and when I say shaft, I mean the the PTO shaft that slides and attaches to the tractor; the PTO drive on the tractor is lubed fine)...just not sure if I standard grease is fine or if any of you tractor pros have a better suggestion. Thanks

I've had some issues when a PTO shaft separates. I don't think there is supposed to be any orientation. I think what happens is that over time. There is some difference in size to account for grease and such between the tractor end and the implement end. So, when the pto starts turning, there is a slight impact between the ends of the shaft. If the shaft is not separated and reassembled in a different orientation regularly (which no one would do), the shaft kind of creates it's own orientation over time. With a new shaft I seem to be able to easily assemble the ends regardless of orientation, but my old shafts seem fit better with one orientation.

Because it is a pita with an older shaft, I grease it up originally with regular grease, but when I grease the fittings, I extend the shaft most of the way and spray Teflon lube on it. I don't know if this is what you are "supposed" to do, but it seems to help for me.

Thanks,

Jack

My experience is that grease initially makes it better but then gunks it up where it is hard to slide. Now we use the spray on teflon which seems to work better for us.

Another thing that can happen is a slight bend in shafting like ptos,valve stems,etc. It doesnt take much to make it very hard to move.

Another tip for ya is when storing for long periods of time I always pull the pto shaft and separate the two sliding halves. That way they dont trap moisture and rust together as easy. I just use regular wheel bearing grease for lube. Just a small amount though. Gobs of grease just attracts more dirt

Good stuff. Thanks guys. I think I’m going to buy some good spray lube on the way up to the farm next time. My bugger fear is the coupler at this point. I think we got the shaft sliding okay with the coupler is such a pain the ass to connect that I’m hoping some additional lube on it will help with that connection. While I like the quick attach mount, it makes it a pain trying to hook a heavy PTO shaft up to the tractor, especially when the coupler has a tough to activate keeper ring/collar. My last mower had a button you pushed to slide onto the PTO shaft which was easy, this collar is a pain in the ass.

Don't know about all PTO shafts, but some are only able to slide together in a certain orientation. Was helping cut silage last summer and a PTO shaft got pulled apart (square shafts) on a wagon. A button/groove on shafts were there to make it go back together such that the u-joints on either end were oriented in a specific manner to each other to prevent vibration (or angular velocity issues?) per the farmer.

Good stuff. Thanks guys. I think I’m going to buy some good spray lube on the way up to the farm next time. My bugger fear is the coupler at this point. I think we got the shaft sliding okay with the coupler is such a pain the ass to connect that I’m hoping some additional lube on it will help with that connection. While I like the quick attach mount, it makes it a pain trying to hook a heavy PTO shaft up to the tractor, especially when the coupler has a tough to activate keeper ring/collar. My last mower had a button you pushed to slide onto the PTO shaft which was easy, this collar is a pain in the ass.

I'm with you, the collar style shafts suck.

I have two bush hogs - a cat 1 and a cat 2. They both have the collar attachment. I have a tiller, a 10” pump, a spreader, and two augers - none of them use a collar attachment. Is that type of attachment needed on a bush hog for some reason?

I have two bush hogs - a cat 1 and a cat 2. They both have the collar attachment. I have a tiller, a 10” pump, a spreader, and two augers - none of them use a collar attachment. Is that type of attachment needed on a bush hog for some reason?
I don’t know, but I’d pay to have this collar connection switched out for the button connection. I’m wondering if it has to do with the HP rating of the implement. I know my 5’ woods brush cutter that went on my 38 hp Kubota had the button style connector.

I don’t know, but I’d pay to have this collar connection switched out for the button connection. I’m wondering if it has to do with the HP rating of the implement. I know my 5’ woods brush cutter that went on my 38 hp Kubota had the button style connector.

I have a seven ft that I run on my 65 hp tractor - with a collar connector - and a five ft I run on my 28 hp. It is a real job getting that bigger one on.

I have a seven ft that I run on my 65 hp tractor - with a collar connector - and a five ft I run on my 28 hp. It is a real job getting that bigger one on.
I think I’m going to be in the same boat. The one I just got is 8’ and the first connection took two of us. Hoping it gets better once it’s well lubed, but not holding my breath.

I think I’m going to be in the same boat. The one I just got is 8’ and the first connection took two of us. Hoping it gets better once it’s well lubed, but not holding my breath.

I am not sure about your tractor - and you may be doing it - but if I turn my tractor off, I can then turn the tractor splined shaft by hand - making it much easier to line up the collar on the bush hog pto. The hard part for me is holding the pto collar on the tractor shaft, depressing the collar, and sliding everything forward until it clicks. Usually take several cuss words.

I am not sure about your tractor - and you may be doing it - but if I turn my tractor off, I can then turn the tractor splined shaft by hand - making it much easier to line up the collar on the bush hog pto. The hard part for me is holding the pto collar on the tractor shaft, depressing the collar, and sliding everything forward until it clicks. Usually take several cuss words.
Yep. This is exactly what I have done. It helps to have a 3rd hand to pull the collar back, slide the shaft forward or turn the shaft/spline...or a combination of the above. Ha

I have a 6' deere and a 4' bush hog brand, they are both push button.

^^^^^^^^this

profanity helpful.........

bill