Washing your tractor

Brian662

5 year old buck +
What are you guys using (other than elbow grease) to keep your equipment looking good? Anyone tried the numerous spray-foaming products out there with any success?

Looking to shine a tractor up for auction and also to clean up a tractor that needs a bath!

I will be watching this with interest also. I generally rinse mine off with the hose once in a while and power wash it at the end of the planting season but it really needs a little more TLC with something that will break up the grease.

I used a power washer and a product called “Super Clean” on the stubborn greasy spots. Possibly related to tractor cleaning, if you need to clean up the vinyl, or for your boats, there is a product called Marine 31. We used it to clean up the mold and mildew on the pontoon seats. Stuff just melted off and the seats looked brand new. Unbelievable stuff!

I use a power washer

My sandy soil and lanes in pine stands do a great job of cleaning any bottom land mud from tires

I then use a leaf blower to blow out the cab

bill

I blow out my radiator screes with my air compressor.....and blow out the cab with a small battery powered leaf blower I just got. I have a soft car wash brush that I use (dry) to clean the dust from the windows at times. Once in a while I will park my tractor outside when its raining......or wash it down with water from the hose. I am not a tractor polisher.....nor big on keeping it clean. I don't abuse it....but, It's a working machine.

Power washer, with hot water. Our washer has a side tube you can put in a soap bucket, but hot water is the key. IMO

Our tractor doesn't have a cab. The next one will, a luxury of getting older LOL. Anyways we use our tractor 2-3 times a week, so no sense in us going over board cleaning it. If it is looking particularly dusty I just take the garden hose to it and a rag to work over the more dirty spots. I will say its nice to see it semi-clean, but it is just like going through the car wash as we live on a rock roads and dust is a way of life.

Almost every time I use mine (4066r) I rinse it off with the hose before parking it back in the shed. But in the fall I spend a couple of hours giving it a ‘good’ wash with actual soap after using WD40 to clean up all the caked grease everywhere I can find it. I also clean the exterior glass real well and apply a double coat of RainX prior to snowblowing season.

I might try a coat of one of the new ceramic spray on waxes this year. Otherwise I’ve never waxed it.

Inside, just shop vac or leaf blower when it needs it.

Careful with the power washing around the dashboard. Let my buddy borrow my tractor for a few weeks with his yard projects and he power washed it everywhere before I picked back up. Couple gauges have not worked right since.

The foam cannons work very well on my cars. I haven't tried it on the tractor but would have the same concerns above about power washing around exposed electronics. Interestingly, although the foam cannon requires a pressure washer to function, the foam doesn't exit the nozzle with the same velocity as water through the wand that comes with the pressure washer. I think it might be OK to use it to soap up the outside of the machine but I would rinses carefully with a regular hose, not the pressure washer.
If you have a pressure washer, the foam cannons and the soap they use are fairly inexpensive on Amazon. I like the result on the cars...

Reactions: 356
The foam cannons work very well on my cars. I haven't tried it on the tractor but would have the same concerns above about power washing around exposed electronics. Interestingly, although the foam cannon requires a pressure washer to function, the foam doesn't exit the nozzle with the same velocity as water through the wand that comes with the pressure washer. I think it might be OK to use it to soap up the outside of the machine but I would rinses carefully with a regular hose, not the pressure washer.
If you have a pressure washer, the foam cannons and the soap they use are fairly inexpensive on Amazon. I like the result on the cars...
I’ve never used a foam cannon, but your post got me to order one. For $18, if it works, it will be money well spend, as I struggle to get good soaping with the bucket and sponge method. I’ll post the results after a few uses.

Make sure you get the soap made for them. I think I bought Chemical Brothers brand. I'm away from home until Monday but can check then. Also remember to rinse the nozzles with plain water when finished.

washing my wife's A6:

IMG_2523.jpg

I feel it's super important to wash the distributor cap and the plugs on my diesel tractor. Keeps things humming along.

Foggy47, While I have not washed my diesel (or gas) vehicles distributor caps or spark plugs with the foam cannon, it did a great job on the muffler bearings and blinker fluid cap.

Seriously, the foam cannon arrived Sunday and I can say it works great. The one I bought noted I could use any liquid soap, so I used the cheap car-wash soap I bought at Menards at a ratio of 2 oz to 8 oz water. The Menards soap would not foam much using traditional wash mitts and sprayer, so I had low expectation. However, it foamed up like the picture Keadog posted, and made washing my work car, truck and wife’s car a breeze. I look forward to using this on the trailer, tractor and implements, as I like to put them away clean at the end of the season.

Last edited: