Pruning Black Knot Fungus

emetzger

A good 3 year old buck
I have some Chickasaw plum trees that are about 10 years old that has this stuff all in it. I pruned very aggressively, so fingers crossed if they will come back. Anyone deal with this stuff before and have suggestions to keep it out?

IMG_7329.JPG IMG_7333.JPG IMG_7335.JPG IMG_7339.JPG

On a positive note , this spot is a great place for quail to hang out so I hinged some trash trees along the road to give better cover.

IMG_6312.JPG IMG_7340.JPG

I don't have plums yet do nothing to suggest on that front, but you must have great quail habitat. We had a few coveys when we first bought the place, but as our young pines got bigger, we lost them. Hopefully our habitat work will bring them back. You seem to have found the right formula!

Thanks,

Jack

You can spray for black knot. Have no idea how well that plum will recover from that haircut! Love the quail.

Any reason you pruned back so much? I find the black knot that I get develops on grow of a few years old or less. Hopefully your trees make it after that. I mainly just prune my black knot out and make sure to burn the diseased wood to prevent spreading it this season. As a side note I love that quail pic.