Property Plan Development. What tools to use?

I don't know how to make this simple and I don't know about every situation. End of disclaimer.
A large percentage (99?) of imagery you see in Google Earth and in every other GIS'ish application stores some version of imagery on your computer. It makes moving around from one place to another faster if the application can grab a copy of imagery first from RAM and then from your hard drive. Otherwise the app calls the server, delivers some information about your area of interest, clips and processes one or more image versions and delivers it back to you computer or cell phone. It takes time and loads of bandwidth.

Google is aggressive in mining all the public sources of aerial imagery to use in their georeferenced apps. For a fact, there's no aerial imagery for anywhere in the United States over 3 years old and I'd bet almost all of the country, every square foot, has been photographed in the last two years.

My bet is that old imagery you're looking at is what's been stored in a cache in your device. You can and should clear it. Then, the application is forced to call the imagery server for the latest.

Here's a link to how to do it:

https://freegeographytools.com/2009/using-the-google-earth-cache-basics

PatinPA - Pennsylvania I presume? The state of and Penn State have been among the most aggressive in collecting, acquiring, and providing aerial imagery.

Here's one place to look. As it is with a lot of these things it takes some motivation to learn how to arrive where you want to be.

https://maps.psiee.psu.edu/ImageryNavigator/
That is fascinating and definitely something worth looking into. I don't have Google Earth as a program anymore on my computer but I may have to give it a shot.

I tried looking at the web-based Google Maps on two different computers and multiple browsers (with also clearing cache and cookies) and the current imagery is at least 4-5 years old.

Thanks FarmerDan,

My county GIS took photos this year. I'll try to clear the cache on my google earth though thanks
I would recommend asking them if they host the photos online as kml or kmz files. My states GIS does.

I am not sure how long this feature has been around, but I just noticed that OnX has an imagery on demand feature. Apparently you can get images for a 4000 acre area that are about a week old for $60 if you are already an Elite member. That doesn't seem too bad, but I would be curious if they would be any higher resolution than what they normally offer.

I have also commented about this in another thread, but I have been using World Imagery Wayback a bunch. In some cases, the images are only a few weeks old. Most of what I have seen is less than a year old at the oldest. You can scroll through time and see what your farm looked like over time. Here is a random farm in Iowa.

I had a real bad go with OnX IOD when it came out two months ago. Wasted time and money- got a refund. Total let down for a property in Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk