Project Peninsula

Satchmo

5 year old buck +
Well guys, I finally got started on my 2015 season on the property. Last Tuesday, the wife and I met with the forester and did a 4-wheeler tour with him and discussed our goals for the property. He then went off to do his thing taking inventory, aging trees, taking pictures, and doing a more complete walk thru. Should see my proposed Stewardship Plan soon. On Wednesday morning, I even got the wife to play along and help me do some hinge cutting in an area I've been eyeballing for a while now. The tool below that my brother (the machinist) made to put on my pole saw worked awesome as a push pole. Still need to fashion a larger hook for pulling.

Last edited:
Is there a deer trail through that first picture?

I seem to remember a peninsula from a map you posted.

Looks good, too!

Yes Bur, there a couple major trails through this 2 acre hump on the edge of the slough. Would like to get the deer to bed here if possible. Biggest surprise of the trip was my wife spending an hour and a half out there hinging with me. She usually doesn't go in the woods unless there are berries involved.

Are you going to add some spruce to that area?

I have a similar location where I should hinge some popple and add 5 or 6 spruce. But I won't hinge anymore this year. Maybe I will snap a picture and add it here...

I was thinking of adding either black spruce or balsam. Still have to drop or girdle some of the larger black ash to open the canopy some more. Didn't want to wear the wife's patience thin or I would have got more done. Please do post your example here. Thanks

Good looking start to your projects, that hinging will change that area.