Prairie Pit-Stop

That is a win!

It's also a good feeling.looks good

Wanted to do something for the pollinators in the home orchard.

Decided to put in a hugleculture native flower bed under my north star cherry. So far so good. Might have planted a tad heavy but will let them duke it out.

First were layers of bark from chopping wood. Topped with the shavings that were raked up.
20210325_191229.jpg
Then emptied the fire pit ashes and wood char on top.
20210403_102931.jpg
Top soil
20210418_145724.jpg
Seed and mulch.20210526_202244.jpg
This morning, with very little rain to date.
20210725_092258.jpg
So far I can ID blanket flower, plains coriolis, max sunflower, yarrow, red clover and of course some weeds for good measure.

That firecracker crab is big already in earlier post!
I put in three this spring, looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Brisk 53 this a.m.
Got the pack up 40# shooting for 4miles every other day.
Pipers getting better at finding the birds. She is gunna be dangerous this fall.
20210821_064754.jpg
Found this guy crawling out of a zucchini. So loaded down he had to take a pitstop to reorganize his load.
20210821_085920.jpg

Just had my mind blown.
Jealous of all you southern folk that are used to this on the regular.
Didnt think it was possible but I have my first peaches in Z-4a
No comparison, wish my Grandma was still around so she could try one.
20210828_161413.jpg
20210831_163641.jpg

I used to get those. But then the tree in my front yard died :(

Just got home from out of state.
Fun hunt, alot of pressure considering the time of year I thought. Area had been in a drought so of course it rained on and off the whole first day. Getting down to the wire was able to sneak up on this guy at 20 yards. Wind swirls and he blows out, stopped at 62 for one last look. Onx said 3.38m and it took me 1hr 55min and 33sec to carry him out. Not sure how elk hunters do it. I was pretty well shot after I made it back to camp.
20211001_132342.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how elk hunters do it.

Ouch I just caught that. Two boned hind quarters, two shoulders and the back straps. The messy stuff stays.

Oh, and the antlers.

For the record I’ve killed one Elk. 3 hours from the truck. It cured me of ever wanting to shoot another.

Nice deer!! Dude you drug that thing over 3 miles and in under 2 hrs? It'd take me all fall.
Ha, carried, not drug, believe those days are over unless I can get the truck relatively close. Had planned on taking 2 trips but when I plotted the chart and saw it was going to be close to 3.5m said to heck with that and stuffed my pack to the breaking point. Guttless method is money, even managed to snag the heart.

Ha, carried, not drug

Ummm yea, without knowing you you must still be young enough to be full of piss and vinegar lol that sounds like something I would have only done between my 20's to 30's
Hats off to you though for pulling it off TT!!

Beautiful evening, felt great to get back on home turf. Sat in a hang on my Dad made in the 80s, by some crabapples he planted around ten years later.

Finnaly killed a buck over a grape vine mock scrap I made about three years ago. Dont get the chance to hunt that location often due to the wind needed, might be the 4 sit in 3 years there.

Got caught up in the moment and could not help myself. Addicted to blood trailing I guess. Was a little disappointed when he fell in sight. But post biopsy revealed a first, double lung and caught the tip of the heart, cant be mad about that.
20211109_173603.jpg

Was thinking he would make about 30 pints of canned vension as he walked past.
Luckily still have a couple tags in my pocket. Otherwise I might have had to show some more restraint, just gunna have to do a bit of traveling.

Last edited:
Tonight it sounds like it was meant to be. That's the 1st time I ever heard a guy size up his deer by how many canned pints it would make. :emoji_laughing: Cool story and nice buck! Like his brows.

Onx said 3.38m and it took me 1hr 55min and 33sec to carry him out. Not sure how elk hunters do it. I was pretty well shot after I made it back to camp.
View attachment 37458

Belated Congrats. Elk is about the same, you just have to do it 3 or 4 times. I’ve only packed out 1 mule deer and the whole deer + skull after being broken down was about the same as my heaviest elk loads. Usually break em into 4 trips. The trick is if the temps are warm.. then you better be close or have buddies/pick animals.

I just skimmed this thread, are you in the Dakotas?