All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pole saw opinions

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
Getting to the point where I just need to make the investment in a good pole saw.

At that stage of life that leaning out on a branch to trim shooting lanes is not as much fun as it used to be.

Looking for any an all suggestions.
Would like something duel purpose.
#1 to prune the Apple orchards in the future. Without always having to break out a ladder.
#2 a good saw to reach out an trim shooting lanes.

Always lean towards quality over cost point. But am hoping not to have to break the bank.

Are you thinking power or manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking manual, but open to what ever may be the best option for the situation.

Distance is not really a factor, can drove right up to most locations that it will be used.

When I worked for a tree service we used Jameson and silky. I’ve got a cheap one right now, and it’s a gigantic POS

Don’t laugh. I have a place with a friggin shade tree commission. Starting a saw brings more questions that I care to answer.

I bought a “quiet” battery operated pole chain saw to clean a few things up.

Since then I’ve abused the crap out of it. Oregon bar and chain. If it craps out tomorrow I’ve got my $ out of it.

https://m.harborfreight.com/40v-lithium-cordless-pole-saw-63286.html

I second Farmer Dan on the Fiskars, I have the same one and it's very nice for the money. If going gas powered, do not get an Echo. Borrowed one, looks good, cuts well, terrible balance, wore me out.

I use a Silky Hayauchi pole saw and love it. Expensive...but worth the initial investment IMHO.

I second Farmer Dan on the Fiskars, I have the same one and it's very nice for the money. If going gas powered, do not get an Echo. Borrowed one, looks good, cuts well, terrible balance, wore me out.
Stihl pole saw will whip you in a short time also.

It may not be best for surgical prunning on an apple tree, but for the large branch size and volume of work that you can do, consider a Stihl gas powered pole prunner. A lot safer on larger limbs and less binding.

Stihl Pole Prunner

I have a silky handsaw and it’s phenomenal. I would have zero doubt there like saws are just a good. They are pricey but if I needed a truly good one it’s what I’d buy. I have a cheap one that’s more then adequate for my uses. Home Depot orange handle. Probably a fiskars. Best the crap outta it and it’s still doing the job

i use this:
https://www.amazon.com/Combination-...8&qid=1529462205&sr=8-32&keywords=pruning+saw
plus this:
https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brus...rd_wg=jHMsM&psc=1&refRID=S5RH1T8YGGZJV582NCZV

you can't bear down on the saw or you'll strip the push button stops on the pole, but it has less flex than the all fiberglass polesaws, and doesn't have the rope/clipper combo that really just gets in the way. you may find the pole at home depot for less $

Hooeyman makes one that they use on midwest whitetail and its battery operated

I got a Sthil pole saw and I love it. But i cut alot of limbs and maintain the field edges around the farm here.

My biggest is a ~ 16" pine tree limb about 12 feet up. Start at the bottom of limb and then the sides then the top and down it comes.

It may not be best for surgical prunning on an apple tree, but for the large branch size and volume of work that you can do, consider a Stihl gas powered pole prunner. A lot safer on larger limbs and less binding.

Stihl Pole Prunner
X2

I just bought the same Stihl Pole Pruner and love it! Mine was the residential (less expensive) model. The pro series telescopes more but I didn't need it....if I cant reach it from the ground, dad can just lift me up in the bucket. IMO, a pole saw is a crucial tool if you are maintaining roads, shooting lanes etc...

I used a Fiskars for several years and it was ok. Then bought a 20volt Black & Decker that has exceeded all my expectations for performance and light weight. Not a commercial grade saw but more than adequate for trimming shooting lanes or limbs around the yard. Paid around $120 for it 3 years ago.

I have a 12ft Wicked pole saw. Absolutely love it. I’ve cut a mountain of brush with the thing over the last 5 years with zero problems. Collapses down to about 30”, strap it to pack and take it to stand with me if I’m going to a spot I haven’t trimmed out.

Stihl and fuhgetaboutit.