Plugs showed up!

M

MoLandOwner

Thanks!

Last edited:
Get some water on them maybe 2-3 times per week.

The ones I've got from the U of Idaho in the past have been in plastic bags and have been pretty moist in there, I have waited a week or so on some tp plant and had no problem if they looked like they were drying out I added water to just keep the plug damp.

Pic?

I've always gone bare root, how do plugs compare price wise? Yep pic's would be nice.

Plugs are typically smaller, and younger trees. Cheaper by quite a bit as well. Bare root are bigger, have more roots, and take significantly more effort to plant, and also have a higher probability of having problems related to the planting process (bigger hole, harder to get roots oriented correctly, roots installed at an angle, etc).

With a decent planting tool, I can have a plug installed in under 20 seconds taking my sweet time. It's in a hole with no air pockets, no j-roots, and minimal compressed soil (only the volume displaced by the tool) - plus never having to get on my knees.

I did 100 bare root Douglas Firs. I'll never do another bare root conifer. You gain 2 years growth up front (time burned off at the nursery), but I don't think the tree is as healthy 2 years later vs what it would be if it'd been planted as a plug.

The soil plug may be a bit misshapen, I had about 50 trees last year that were came wrapped like those ones and overall I hardly noticed a difference when planting. If they sit a while it may be worse, I was planting 2 days after they were wrapped.

Wiggle the tool in the hole if they're too mushed to go in like they come out of the plastic, heel them in like normal - you'll be fine.

Keep them moist, but don't over do it. I had my plugs in a big open plastic bag for about a week prior to planting. Very high success rate 4 years later despite completely ignoring them once planted.

Stu, next time you see me, I want you to kick me square in the sack for not buying plugs 20 years ago. I just planted the first 125 plugs in 45 minutes. Why was I ever planting bare root all those years!!!:mad:

They are so easy. I had amazing success rate from last May 1 to now besides the deer decided a month ago that some were edible. I am very suprised by that.

Stu, next time you see me, I want you to kick me square in the sack for not buying plugs 20 years ago. I just planted the first 125 plugs in 45 minutes. Why was I ever planting bare root all those years!!!:mad:
Have Sandbur film it.

It took me 100 bare root trees to decide there had to be a better option. Actually, I think I was convinced bare roots sucked well before 50 were in the ground. :eek:

I'm a slow learner 1300 bare root, plugs from now on.

The only concern I have with plugs in my sand is that I may get a lower survival rate the first season or two vs bareroots because the bareroots are planted much much deeper than the plugs. I have the same concern with cuttings in my droughty sand.

The only concern I have with plugs in my sand is that I may get a lower survival rate the first season or two vs bareroots because the bareroots are planted much much deeper than the plugs. I have the same concern with cuttings in my droughty sand.
There's a reason the timber companies replant the pines in that area down in the bottom of 2' deep ruts.;) Maybe try dipping the cutting in watersorb before putting it into the hole? I would think on that sand you would be fine, but maybe that won't work due to heaving in heavy rains or frost?

Amazing how much quicker they go in isn't it?

Yes it is!

Lets see if they hold up as well as most Bare roots I have planted.