Soil is pH 7.3 , soil is heavy almost clay, it floods due to irrigation. What oak to plant.

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
I have English oak, English burr hybrid, Chestnut oak, Garry Oak, Northern Red oak, burr oak, crimson spire, Concordia, Teeders hybrid English & SWO.

Last years some SWO showed some chlorosis . The burr / English hybrids did not.
Thanks.

Chinkapin oak will tolerate that pH

So the Concordia?

Something with Chink and/or Bur.
Concordia may be good.
Schuette's
Bebbs
Burenglish

Chestnut oak may be another, along with Saul's oak, which is a Chestnut x white cross.

I have chestnut oak from Minnesota ( Hoytvetrix) . But I am not clear on how many will emerge, I fear many froze

That sounds like less than ideal conditions for an oak. Are there native oaks nearby growing in similar conditions? If so, I would plant those. If not, I would think about another tree species that can provide deer sustenance and can thrive in those conditions.

There are a few red oaks in salmon Idaho.

There are oaks in Idaho falls.

What trees other than oaks do you speak of?

Thanks

When it floods, how long does it last?

What trees other than oaks do you speak of?

Thanks

I have lots of clay underneath my topsoil. Northern white cedar roots seem to have no problem penetrating it. They can grow in standing water for extended periods of time.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 064102.png

When it floods, how long does it last?
I have areas that flood for weeks, maybe more. I have other areas that it’s several months.

I will try some white cedar…..great idea!

I will try some white cedar…..great idea!
Here are some pictures of white cedar when I was in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area last year. Cedar can grow damn near anywhere. They really liked it next to the water. You can see the water level up on some of those trees. Some of them have been there a couple hundred years would be my guess.

IMG_5268.JPEGIMG_5271.JPEGIMG_5303.JPEGIMG_5309.JPEGIMG_5324.JPEGIMG_5367.JPEG

I brought one back from Minnesota a few years ago but I ran over it with the tractor.

The red cedars I brought back at the same time made it! My wife is very happy with the one I planted in her rock garden.

I will seek them out this summer when I am back there.

Attachments

• 8E0508FE-10F7-4724-BD53-79CF31127441.jpeg
    8E0508FE-10F7-4724-BD53-79CF31127441.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 6
Good luck finding a white cedar anywhere. Its gonna be difficult. Its rare for me to see any young ones. You can find plenty of young red cedar. I buy most of my white cedar. Itasca greenhouse has some you could order. ABP you could expect would be about 10-12" tall. I buy most of mine as potted trees from the local NRCS. $12 for a 1 gallon pot. $18 for 2 gallon pot. I'm trying a few bareroots this year and gonna hold some of the smaller ones back and pot them up myself. Perhaps your friends by Darwin could buy some of the potted trees from the sale in Litchfield and keep them until you get here this summer.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 102945.jpg

Might be better off with western red cedar in ID

I tried them. ( western reds) No luck where I planted them. I gave some to a neighbor and they lived. I plan on another go with them sometime. The blue spruce love my place.

The whites may not be drought tolerant enough?

I get an average of 12 inches a year of rain.

The eastern reds I can keep alive.

I'm not sure what to do about the flooding, unless you can make a mound to plant in, but I would try bur hybrids, especially schuette's, bebbs and burgambrel. They are supposed to be drought tolerant.
I'd try direct seeding to be sure the tap gets down without a hitch.

Last year the burr English cross from the Missouri bass pro seems to be working.

The blue spruce I planted there drown.

I am hopeful for the Concordia.

Study of the Garry oak states they can handle flooding. But slow growers

Last edited:
Just thought of another red variety, Nuttall. They can take flooding and high ph.