CRYPTOMERIA

williams111

5 year old buck +
I understand it's not "native," but didn't know where else to post it. I was browsing The Wildlife Group 2021-2022 (not sure how I got the old version) catalog and ran across CRYPTOMERIA Japanese Cedar, their description is below;
CRYPTOMERIA(Japanese Cedar) USDA Zones 5-9Cryptomeria is fast-growing disease-free evergreen used for screening and borders. Grows 3-4 ft’ a year reaching 20 plus ft in six years. Adaptable to varying soils and environments.
I haven't seen it mentioned here, and nothing showed up in a search. Has anyone planted it?

I believe it is also called a Yoshino Japanese Cedar. Those I’ve planted in my yard. They grow like crazy and would make a very good screen.

One word of caution in areas with warmer winters is pine bark Beatles. Yoshino’s are susceptible. I had to cut every last one of mine down.

I also have Thuja giant arborvitae's in my yard. They grow fast and the pine bark Beatles have not affected them yet. But I do have to spray every other July for bag worms. It's always something.

I believe it is also called a Yoshino Japanese Cedar. Those I’ve planted in my yard. They grow like crazy and would make a very good screen.

One word of caution in areas with warmer winters is pine bark Beatles. Yoshino’s are susceptible. I had to cut every last one of mine down.
Good to know, I have seen the affects of the beetles out west in the mountains. Seems like a good reason to steer clear of the Yoshino Japanese Cedar. Thanks!