Soil is pH 7.3 , soil is heavy almost clay, it floods due to irrigation. What oak to plant.

I have northern reds in floodplains of Minnesota, they look wonderful! I found them I am not sure of exact species

Attachments

• A1DC1712-0B11-4432-91C6-BD5CA45F0F14.jpeg
    A1DC1712-0B11-4432-91C6-BD5CA45F0F14.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 3
I've been trying to find a NRO x Nuttall cross.
I have NRO x Shumard and Pin x Nuttall, so far.

I have one red oak from last year that is perhaps my best grower in wet ground. I think it’s a Minnesota R/O I dug up as a seedling.

The Scarlet oaks from Seattle are duds so far.

I tried them. ( western reds) No luck where I planted them. I gave some to a neighbor and they lived. I plan on another go with them sometime. The blue spruce love my place.

The whites may not be drought tolerant enough?

I get an average of 12 inches a year of rain.

The eastern reds I can keep alive.

I have been planting white cedar on upland sites of my property for 4 years now. They have been through 3 years of terrible drought. They are all doing really good. I have not lost one yet. We didnt get close to 12 inches of rain last year or in 2021. The root structure on white cedar is phenomenal. If your area floods occasionally I would expect they can store up enough water to make it quite easily. I put them among the most drought resistant trees I have planted. They have handled the drought better than red pine, white pine, norway spruce, white spruce any type of fir tree. With all the hot temps we had last year my woods turned into a giant piece of baked clay just like 2021.

Here is a photo of a young cedar I transplanted last fall. I left my testicles laying on the ground where I pulled this out. Their root system blows the doors off spruce and pine. I cant afford to be pulling these out of the ground anymore. I'm just gonna buy them cause a major back surgery seems quite expensive.

IMG_8271 - Copy.JPEG

I have been planting white cedar on upland sites of my property for 4 years now. They have been through 3 years of terrible drought. They are all doing really good. I have not lost one yet. We didnt get close to 12 inches of rain last year or in 2021. The root structure on white cedar is phenomenal. If your area floods occasionally I would expect they can store up enough water to make it quite easily. I put them among the most drought resistant trees I have planted. They have handled the drought better than red pine, white pine, norway spruce, white spruce any type of fir tree. With all the hot temps we had last year my woods turned into a giant piece of baked clay just like 2021.

Here is a photo of a young cedar I transplanted last fall. I left my testicles laying on the ground where I pulled this out. Their root system blows the doors off spruce and pine. I cant afford to be pulling these out of the ground anymore. I'm just gonna buy them cause a major back surgery seems quite expensive.

View attachment 63556
I’m gonna get me some!!