All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting plot before heavy rain

ToddG

5 year old buck +
I have a plot I want to plant in Durana clover and winter rye and would like to get it planted this weekend. I am in Virginia and may be the track of Irma. Would you still plant with heavy rain in the forecast or should I wait until the following week. I am a little concerned if I wait to long, It might be to late in the season.The ground is fairly flat.
Thanks,

I think I would wait. Last year I had 12 inches of rain a couple days after I planted, I went and checked on it, and all of the seed was puddled up in any low spot, I had to replant.

I'm a big fan of Durana and have quite a bit established on my place. It is a very tiny seed and my concern depending on soil type, seedbed preparation, and the actual amount of rainfall would be that it gets pounded too deeply into the soil. Durana isn't cheap and I've learned to plant when conditions are optimal (or as close to optimal as possible).

I think I would wait. Last year I had 12 inches of rain a couple days after I planted, I went and checked on it, and all of the seed was puddled up in any low spot, I had to replant.
That's what I figured. I was kinda leaning that way. Just wanted to get it done

I have a plot I want to plant in Durana clover and winter rye and would like to get it planted this weekend. I am in Virginia and may be the track of Irma. Would you still plant with heavy rain in the forecast or should I wait until the following week. I am a little concerned if I wait to long, It might be to late in the season.The ground is fairly flat.
Thanks,

Absolutely! Irma will provide us with a great rain. It will likely be a slow steady all day rain. I love planting in front of rain. Even thunderstorms. If the rain is both heavy and sustained and the ground is sloped, you can have an issue of seed washing away. Another great attribute of the throw and grow method that is not talked about often is that the vegetation helps with runoff issues.

Go plant and have fun!

Thanks,

Jack

it depends on how much thatch will be covering it. if its throw and mow with good thatch, I would plant it the day before the rain hits. I can show you some good pics that came from throw and mow followed by a week of rain.

I would plant it and roll it/ run it over with your ATV if you ground is uneven and you don't have a lot of thatch on the ground. I picked up a couple extra bags of WR to broadcast next week.

Looks like Irma may head west of me which should mean we won't get the really heavy rains. I think I'm going to plant and hope for the best. I am going to shallow till in the winter rye and then roll.

Plant it...if you have a cultipacker, this is where they are worth their weight in gold. Well, maybe not gold, but...more than just iron! :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk