planting my RR Sugar Beets

OK. In some of my plots.....I doubt the water table is 3 feet below the surface. If I can get those roots down by August.....they oughta grow. :) Sometimes August can get pretty dry.

Don't worry about dry, unless it's a total drought. I've been told by farmers that beets can send roots down 15 feet. Record harvest in the valley in what most people would consider a drought. Seems like every year, I wonder if the beets are going to grow. Very slow to germinate, and slow to grow. They really put on mass after they leaf out.

Last edited:
I double tilled a chicory plot I had......but non-the-less the chicory survived the ordeal and is coming back. So I decided to spray it now before my Sugar Beets germinate. I hooked my Fimco Sprayer to my Honda Pioneer. Pretty slick sprayer set up.sprayer on Pioneer.JPG

Note the "deer recovery" LED lights on the back of the Pioneer. (also useful for ice fishing and such....VERY bright)

Last edited:
Earlier I made a "mod" to my Fimco Sprayer. I cut a block of wood to support the manifold a bit better. I had to replace some fittings on the manifold......as it was pretty weak IMO. spaeyer Mod.JPG

Here is the re-emerged enemy: Chicory. I put down 1 Qt / 12 gallons of Gly / water mix. Hope it's strong enough. The enemey chicory.JPG

Looks like you have gotten lots of use out of that pioneer in the short time you've had it.

Looks like you have gotten lots of use out of that pioneer in the short time you've had it.
Yep....but it's a camera hog. ;) Gotta say.... A wheeler is more nimble....but the independent suspension is good for old codgers......nice ride.

Ten days have passed. Rained 2.5 inches over three days this weekend. Now Sunny days. No S Beets sprouted yet. Six Plots. s beets.JPG .

I planted mine like 3 weeks ago. They are just starting to come up. A little spottier than I would like, but that should change come this weekend. I sprayed mine for the 1st time on Friday. Mine were in a drier soil, so this wet weather should get them going.

I think a few are emerging in my garden. None are int he field, yet.

Checked my Sugar Beet Plots yesterday. I planted six small plots totaling about 1.25 acres. I cannot identify a single beet plant in any of the fields. Weeds and chicory continue to come in. I need to spray the plots or they will be lost to weeds. Still.....no beets. :(

Not sure if I will get any results here.....despite super conditions. Not sure what to think.

Sprayed my beets today. Oldest plot is 5 weeks. Biggest ones about 5 inches tall. Other plot is 2 weeks old. Biggest ones are 2 inches tall. They start with 2 long skinny leaves. Then an opposite pair
Starts from below. If it were not for their proven attraction record I would never plant them again! They are so stressful to watch but NOTHING I have ever planted can beat the power of sugar beets. I have planted them for about 6 years.

Then kind of look like chicory when they start out.

Yep.....I am conceded about the soil temps......but most folks say you need the long growing season too. This may be my last stab at sugar beets. Too many uncertainties. Brasica is easy and gets a result.

I think you'll be fine. I plant beets in my garden in late May and I always think they'll be a total failure a month after they're planted. Then they decide to grow and they can get some big roots in a hurry.

So are the round up ready beets formally approved for food plot use now or you now a member of the MN beet growers association?

I think you'll be fine. I plant beets in my garden in late May and I always think they'll be a total failure a month after they're planted. Then they decide to grow and they can get some big roots in a hurry.

So are the round up ready beets formally approved for food plot use now or you now a member of the MN beet growers association?

I plead the 5th. :D

Sprayed my beets today. Oldest plot is 5 weeks. Biggest ones about 5 inches tall. Other plot is 2 weeks old. Biggest ones are 2 inches tall. They start with 2 long skinny leaves. Then an opposite pair
Starts from below. If it were not for their proven attraction record I would never plant them again! They are so stressful to watch but NOTHING I have ever planted can beat the power of sugar beets. I have planted them for about 6 years.

IMG_8673 sugar beets.jpg
Like this?

Checked my plots today.....and here is the pic I got. Is this Sugar Beets? :eek: :confused:photo-50.JPG

Sure looks like it.

Success for foggy!