RR Sugar Beet Seed

nwmn

5 year old buck +
Hey everyone. I got access to RR sugar beet seed and need to know how much to get. If anybody would like to get some for their place, please PM me.

I've planted it in the past, but only an acre at a time and they made craters. THis year I planted about 15 acres of beets, and even after a severe drought this summer, they turned out alright. Once temps dipped and snow started flying, they have been in the beets digging away. It's been a winter full of cold weather and drifting in the northland, and the deer have been turning the white wasteland into a minefield.

I wish I didn't have resistant pig weed. When I tried them the pig weed killed me.
Good luck they are supposed to be the cats meow.

Last edited:
Pm sent

Ditto

Sent you a pm

A little goes a long ways. I usually plant mine at about 2#/acre. Deer hammer them consistently for me unlike the purple tops.

A little goes a long ways. I usually plant mine at about 2#/acre. Deer hammer them consistently for me unlike the purple tops.
Can you explain in detail your planting method/timeline?

Mid April - mid May. Disk plot, drag, seed, drag, walk away. Come back 2-3 weeks later and spray. Usually needs to be sprayed 3 times total over the course of the season. Sometimes I fertilize sometimes I don't. They say that the sugar content is actually higher if the plants are starved of N later in the growing season.

Hey everyone. I got access to RR sugar beet seed and need to know how much to get. If anybody would like to get some for their place, please PM me.

I've planted it in the past, but only an acre at a time and they made craters. THis year I planted about 15 acres of beets, and even after a severe drought this summer, they turned out alright. Once temps dipped and snow started flying, they have been in the beets digging away. It's been a winter full of cold weather and drifting in the northland, and the deer have been turning the white wasteland into a minefield.
Just wanted to make sure you saw my PM? Ive seen you’ve been on here, but I’ve got no response. Really wanting to try some RR beets. Thanks!

I'm curious about the cost. Saw a few old convos on the webs saying $100 per half acre. But that would be a higher population than what ST said works well.

I wish I didn't have resistant pig weed. When I tried them the pig weed killed me.
Good luck they are supposed to be the cats meow.
Ouch. Pig weed is my nemesis. I hand weeded an infestation in my pumpkins for a week straight. Nothing more backbreaking. You might be safe spraying stinger on sugar beets. I know it kills thistle, but not sure on pigweed.

I planted 14 acres of beets last year and endured a terrible drought, but they held on and actually did pretty well considering. Some farms in the area were a total loss, but the beets produced still. Best winter planting for up here, and makes for good shed hunting :)

Depends on where you are. I'd plant it aroudn the time you plant corn.

Don't plant it too deep. Spread with carrier like granulated fertilizer. Urea would be ideal. Harrow it in lightly. If you go light and see bare spots, after your second RR application, broadcast brassicas before a rain in mid-late july in NW MN. Sometime in early september, topdress with winter rye for even more coverage. Depends on your goals.

I learned myself wiht my 22" row planter, that there was plenty of space for more tonnage between rows. With a harsh winter, more soil coverage means more food, and more food means healthier deer.

Depends on where you are. I'd plant it aroudn the time you plant corn.

Don't plant it too deep. Spread with carrier like granulated fertilizer. Urea would be ideal. Harrow it in lightly. If you go light and see bare spots, after your second RR application, broadcast brassicas before a rain in mid-late july in NW MN. Sometime in early september, topdress with winter rye for even more coverage. Depends on your goals.

I learned myself wiht my 22" row planter, that there was plenty of space for more tonnage between rows. With a harsh winter, more soil coverage means more food, and more food means healthier deer.
This has been my advice over the years as well. It doesn't have to be a thick stand of beets to bring the deer in. I actually prefer some room to do some other plantings later in the year. This past year I actually did a mix of low population beans and sugar beets. Worked out great. The beans were mostly wiped out by August so I went back and seeded PTT. I have some pictures of it on my land tour for anyone that wants to check it out.

This has been my advice over the years as well. It doesn't have to be a thick stand of beets to bring the deer in. I actually prefer some room to do some other plantings later in the year. This past year I actually did a mix of low population beans and sugar beets. Worked out great. The beans were mostly wiped out by August so I went back and seeded PTT. I have some pictures of it on my land tour for anyone that wants to check it out.
I learned this year that maximizing acreage is more important than vast acres. Once plants mature, there will be tons of voids and dirt exposure. I see opportunities for more green coverage in this scenario. It means endless trips back and forth in plots, but it's free exercise and helps maximize food capacity.

Pm sent

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wanted to post once more. I will be taking orders until this Sunday(2/27) as we plan to pick up the seed next week and need a final number on the order.

$16/# (Farmers are paying $60/# for this seed. it's a different trait than the super top secret variety the sugar companies use, which i think their "stock/seed" price is even higher)
Seeding rates:
-Drilled/planter plates @ 4#/acre
-Broadcasted @ 5-8#/acre

Located in NW MN, I can meet up somewhere locally or else I can ship in ziploc gallon bags(no idea on the shipping rate).

Let me know!

Nwmn - How many seeds per pound with this variety? I like to drill my sugar beets at 50,000 seeds per acre. I have purchased large coated seed that yields about 10,500 seeds per pound to smaller sized coated seed that gives me 25,000 seeds per pound so there is a vast difference in planting rates - nearly 5#/acre vs only 2#/acre. My son has already purchased seed for this year but I may want to try yours out on maybe an acre or so. Thanks

Nwmn - How many seeds per pound with this variety? I like to drill my sugar beets at 50,000 seeds per acre. I have purchased large coated seed that yields about 10,500 seeds per pound to smaller sized coated seed that gives me 25,000 seeds per pound so there is a vast difference in planting rates - nearly 5#/acre vs only 2#/acre. My son has already purchased seed for this year but I may want to try yours out on maybe an acre or so. Thanks
Good question. I don't have an answer for that but will check. I was told that this is 'medium' sized seed.(coating rather).

I was told 4#/acre drilled, so I don't know how that lines up with what you're used to? I just sent a message to get your answer.

This is a 1 acre plot I drilled last year at only 2#/acre with the smaller seed…

These pics are from the end of July. I had broadcasted some additional brassica mix in the thinner spots around mid-July.

1E7B2661-0C6A-483E-8D9D-F7E0072BD60B.jpeg

CB178210-6416-465E-8FAD-BED3AE2D67F4.jpeg

Mid-December… Looks like I’ve got to pull some pigweed this spring as well…

ED419B2A-53DD-410E-8E6F-3A1E816596BF.jpeg

February - Still doing some digging here - hope to find some shed antlers when the snow melts…

111FF8FE-BFF9-4676-A5A1-A27BCA76E279.jpeg

Good question. I don't have an answer for that but will check. I was told that this is 'medium' sized seed.(coating rather).

I was told 4#/acre drilled, so I don't know how that lines up with what you're used to? I just sent a message to get your answer.

Thanks. Will send you a PM later when you find out. I am going to want probably an acres’ worth this year but maybe more next year.

Thank you for giving us the heads up on this offer.