Planter Help

mglenn005

5 year old buck +
This is my second year with a kinze 2 row planter with no till coulters and standard rubber closing wheels. I am using a brush meter with 60 cell soybean plates. We didn’t have the right sprocket combos, so our seed to seed spacing is not what I wanted. Our soils are marginal, rocky and clay based. Not a lot of organic material. We try not to disc at all.

we planted on Friday, and had 1/2” rain Friday night. After initial planing, I could still see a slight trench with the beans peaking through. Some beans popped out of the rows. I don’t have seed firmers installed on my seed tubes. I checked the food plots on Saturday morning and saw beautiful rows of soybeans sitting on the surface. It was as if the soybeans floated to the top after the rain? Has any experienced this before? How do I fix it? I suspect that the closing wheels aren’t doing the best job.
1d6dd2d07b7a1759ef498732c6ced3e5.jpg

a95b108b5e17f9b783553f511e7bbde7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you adjust your depth setting deeper. Look like the seed wasn’t very deep.
I drill into pretty heavy clay and my closing often don’t close the trench but they’ve never floated out.
I would bet a lot of them make it though, there’s soil contact and if it stays wet enough for the tap root to get started you should be good.

Can you adjust your depth setting deeper. Look like the seed wasn’t very deep.
I drill into pretty heavy clay and my closing often don’t close the trench but they’ve never floated out.
I would bet a lot of them make it though, there’s soil contact and if it stays wet enough for the tap root to get started you should be good.

It’s already cutting About 2 inches deep. In some spots, rocks keep it much shallower. I hope they do make it. Should have rain showers most of the week and we planted after a rain. I ran three turkeys out of one plot. I’m sure they were walking the soybean lines.

Yeah the birds may hurt the plot.

hopefully is on fairly flat ground otherwise too much rain will send your seeds to one low spot or off your property all together. A little rain and your in the food plot business.

Dad went down yesterday and spread some liquid lime (we got a good deal and trying it out - no preaching). Said seeds were putting down roots. If we get some rain, hopefully the worry is for nothing!