planted rape seed too thick

JFK52

5 year old buck +
I believe I may have planted my dwarf Essex rape seed too thick in several smaller food plots. Is there anything I can do to get the overall population of these fields down to more acceptable levels?
I got rains the day after the seeds were cultipacked and it looks like every seed germinated.

When did you plant? If it was recently don't worry, your growing season is about over so I would recommend fertilizing really well and get the most top growth you can even though it is crowded. I see you guys are finally getting some rain. Hard to terminate the rape unless you want to pull the plants by hand and that would take a lot of work.

Last edited:
I would agree with bb. At this point, throw down a couple bags of N and let it do whatever it can before frost takes it out. DER doesn't produce bulbs anyway, so the overcrowding can't lead to the "small bulb syndrome" we hear so much about. This was your learning experience, question is, what did you learn? How much will you adjust your seeding rate for next time?

can you run it over with disc set to straight? that should knock out a few, maybe 1 or 2 passes, judge what got knocked if needed do second pass.......?

I was thinking about doing the exact thing with my disc. The rape was planted in late August pre Labor day.
What I learned is to take out my laser range finder and get an exact measurement of each field I will be seeding. Then I can take X amount of the rape seed at the 9 to 10 pound per acre suggested seeding ratio and spread it on that field. Make sure I spread the whole field and when the seed is done, so am I for that field.
My helper did all of the seeding as I walk with two canes and I was not present when he did the work. I believe he severely overestimated the square footage in each field. Next year we will laser all fields to determine exact acreage and I will be on site for the plantings.
Live and learn!

I would let it go. Especially in a small plot. If you have a good deer population, they will thin it for you

Here in lies your problem. Most seed companies state 5-8 lbs to 7-10 lbs for a pure stand to sell seed. Personally I would use 5 lbs per acre and see how it comes up. After it germinates, top seed a little if you need to but don't seed more than 5 lbs to start (less is more with brassicas). As you stated, measure your plots and utilize the amount based on square footage and a 5 lb per acre seeding rate. DER will mature in 45-60 days, given perfect conditions, so plant 60 days prior to your first frost. I advocate a mix of PTT, DER and radishes planted 90 days prior to your first frost. Good luck on your next planting.

The deer love dwarf Essex rape seed on my land. They totally ignore turnips and radishes as I found out last year. That is why I stick to DER as a stand alone seed as opposed to a combination of brassicas.

The deer love dwarf Essex rape seed on my land. They totally ignore turnips and radishes as I found out last year. That is why I stick to DER as a stand alone seed as opposed to a combination of brassicas.
have you tried multiple years? It usually takes 2-3 times growing them for deer to catch on to eat them? Even if you do not plant PPT again, id still advocate throwing in some ground hog radish. They are deep rooters which pull nutrients up to the top layer of soil so even if the deer do not eat them, they will pull those deep nutrients up and then they will die and bam, instant fertilizer gain!

have you tried multiple years? It usually takes 2-3 times growing them for deer to catch on to eat them? Even if you do not plant PPT again, id still advocate throwing in some ground hog radish. They are deep rooters which pull nutrients up to the top layer of soil so even if the deer do not eat them, they will pull those deep nutrients up and then they will die and bam, instant fertilizer gain!

I have a similar situation. The deer by me eat radish tops and bulbs. They never touch the rape. They never eat the PTT tops but sometimes will eat the bulbs. I have been threatening to stop planting DER and PTT but still do anyways. Is there a good reason to keep planting PTT and DER? (I have been planting them for several years)

I have a similar situation. The deer by me eat radish tops and bulbs. They never touch the rape. They never eat the PTT tops but sometimes will eat the bulbs. I have been threatening to stop planting DER and PTT but still do anyways. Is there a good reason to keep planting PTT and DER? (I have been planting them for several years)
If your deer don't eat it, plant something else they will eat. If you are looking for soil building with the brassica bulbs, just plant daikon radish instead of PPT, deer usually eat the top growth from those at least.

If you gave it a few years then I would move away and try other things BUT personally I think deer like a variety so I try and plant mixes OR strips in every plot. There have been days where I have seen a deer eat JUST rye in a sitting but that same deer munched on clover the next day. I am moving away from mono cultures of plots. My deer DEFINITELY eat my brassica (both tops and bulbs) but as stated, they eat other things as well. Also, planting different things give you better chances of having something in your plot if you have a weird year with weather. Hot/dry year can spell disaster with clovers and brassica, but oats/rye/wheat seem to handle it ok. Cooler wetter years, and clover really thrives.