Pill For Ticks

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
Read an article today about a company that's developing an oral medicine to kill ticks when they bite. Similar to what you would give your pet. The low dose effectiveness was above 90% and could last 30 days after taking it.

It doesn't prevent the diseases the ticks carry but actually kills the ticks when they bite you.

So how many of you fellas would be willing to take it after it hits the open market?

Not me. Until further notice.

I know 2 people who can't eat meat anymore. I'd SERIOUSLY consider this pill. I probably only have 15-20yrs left in me. Unlikely that I should get to concerned about long term affects at this point.

I lost any trust in the pharmaceutical companies, unless I am told I need the medicine to survive, I am a hard no!

And I have already had Lymes

Thats a big maybe as 3 of us in our family have had RMSF or Lyme and me both.I will pull more than 25 ticks off and that before late summer seed tick when I will get dozens.

Aw c'mon, Pfizer has nothing to do with it.
Fair enough. Further notice might be tomorrow. Just first impression was that something within your own skin that can kill a tick seems awfully toxic. I'm not against Pfizer or medicine in general. Modern medicine is a marvel. At the same time good decisions and good luck should always be the first line.

I know 2 people who can't eat meat anymore. I'd SERIOUSLY consider this pill. I probably only have 15-20yrs left in me. Unlikely that I should get to concerned about long term affects at this point.
Respectfully I hope you have more than that Cat.

Aw c'mon, Pfizer has nothing to do with it.
A pill is better than a shot ! Personally, I don’t trust Pfizer or Moderna! It would depend on several factors for me.

It doesn't do anything other than kill the ticks? What's the point? Not for me.

Sign me up! I've had to watch my friend's father wither away into a vegetable state after acquiring Lyme's disease so I'd do anything to avoid that.

It doesn't do anything other than kill the ticks? What's the point? Not for me.
Most tick borne diseases require the tick to be in for 24hrs or more (usually 36-48hrs). If they die before that you never have to worry about getting sick from them.

Over 35 years ago I got lymes from a tick that bit me and it was less than 12 hours(probably less than 6 hours). Developed the "bullseye" mark and my leg was going numb both directions from the bite. Maybe I'm just the exception. Doctor gave me some pills for it at that time. I'm still here so it must have worked. Maybe the degree of illness from tick bites depends on where on your body you get bit? I was bit on my knee. Maybe it's worse if it's closer to your heart or your head? I don't know.

I think it depends more on how quickly you get treatment for the disease. I quick dose of antibiotics and you should be good. Sit on it too long and you might end up with pretty severe symptoms for a long time. None of the diseases sounds like fun, but Alpha-gal really spooks me!

I think back when I got lymes I had to take pills for 2 weeks. Treatments are probably much improved now. Never even heard of Alpha-gal before. What's that do to a guy?

I don’t seem to have a big tick problem where I’m at. Had a few on my clothes the first year/ first time out on the property.
Started using permethrin on my clothes right after that and haven’t had a tick on me since. I’ll stick with the perm.