Persimmon drop times

I grafted a 3rd leaf seedling that was only ~1/4" and got some quick growth for the size along with flower buds this year. I haven't been back in a couple weeks to see if it's actually fruiting, but I don't anticipate it will fruit reliably for years down the road. I would also think your larger tree will fruit sooner rather than later with that well-established rootstock.

I don't graft to potted seedlings any more. I have many persimmon trees shooting up from the roots and stumps in my old pasture, so I graft to them. I'm in a 60 chromosome area. I've noticed that when I graft 90 chromosome material to 60 chromosome rootstock, I can get a bloom or two the following year. Grafting 60 chromosome to 60 chromosome rootstock usually results in a couple of extra years before I see the first bloom.

My guess is that this tree will start producing fast - maybe next year. It’s topworked onto a 1.5 inch DBH tree and really taking off. If I hadn’t added bracing I think it would have already broken off at the graft.

In my experience, it is pretty common to get the first persimmons in the 3rd leaf after grafting to a tree 1" or more in diameter in the field. Only once did I have one produce in the second leaf. If the flower bud had developed on the scion before grafting, I'll get a flower and persimmon in that first year but nothing in the second for field grafting a well established tree.

Tree Daddy are you sure that the grafts on your trees survived? You said that you planted them in 2013 and you have only seen a few male flowers. I usually get fruit on my Asian varieties by the third year after grafting. I have never noticed any male flowers. Asian persimmons have big glossy leaves compared to our native species.

I believe so .Trees are ~18 feet tall
What happens when graft union is underground? Could this be a possible cause?

bill

With persimmons, I don't think that the graft being underground would have any effect on the tree. Apples are a different story.