All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Persimmon drop times

I grafted a 3rd leaf seedling that was only ~1/4" and got some quick growth for the size along with flower buds this year. I haven't been back in a couple weeks to see if it's actually fruiting, but I don't anticipate it will fruit reliably for years down the road. I would also think your larger tree will fruit sooner rather than later with that well-established rootstock.

I don't graft to potted seedlings any more. I have many persimmon trees shooting up from the roots and stumps in my old pasture, so I graft to them. I'm in a 60 chromosome area. I've noticed that when I graft 90 chromosome material to 60 chromosome rootstock, I can get a bloom or two the following year. Grafting 60 chromosome to 60 chromosome rootstock usually results in a couple of extra years before I see the first bloom.

My guess is that this tree will start producing fast - maybe next year. It’s topworked onto a 1.5 inch DBH tree and really taking off. If I hadn’t added bracing I think it would have already broken off at the graft.

In my experience, it is pretty common to get the first persimmons in the 3rd leaf after grafting to a tree 1" or more in diameter in the field. Only once did I have one produce in the second leaf. If the flower bud had developed on the scion before grafting, I'll get a flower and persimmon in that first year but nothing in the second for field grafting a well established tree.

Tree Daddy are you sure that the grafts on your trees survived? You said that you planted them in 2013 and you have only seen a few male flowers. I usually get fruit on my Asian varieties by the third year after grafting. I have never noticed any male flowers. Asian persimmons have big glossy leaves compared to our native species.

I believe so .Trees are ~18 feet tall
What happens when graft union is underground? Could this be a possible cause?

bill

With persimmons, I don't think that the graft being underground would have any effect on the tree. Apples are a different story.