Persimmon blooms

Oklahunter

Yearling... With promise
Hoping the experts can tell me if these blooms are male or female? It’s my first tree to ever bloom. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7444.jpeg
    IMG_7444.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7443.jpeg
    IMG_7443.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 54
Not the easiest to tell from those pictures, but they appear to be singular flowers like a female would have.

Looks like a female to me.

How old is the tree?

Multiple flowers from the same point of origin are always a sure sign of a male - a single flower by itself can be, but is not always an indication of a female flower.

You need better pictures, but right now I’m saying those are male. I don’t see the pronounced calyx lobes that should be present on a female flower at that stage of development. Look below at my picture of a female flower and pay attention to the base (the calyx). Note how it flares out from the rest of the flower. Also note how tight the entire flower is to the limb.

I’m not seeing that in your pictures. Get me some better pics and I will say with 100% accuracy.

IMG_4124.jpegIMG_4120.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I’ll try and get better pictures

Spring/early summer officially here when Native breaks out the persimmon flower pics

bill

Spring/early summer officially here when Native breaks out the persimmon flower pics

bill

Bill, it’s like an addiction.

Here is a picture of some male flowers that I took today. Pay particular attention to the calyx area and note the difference when comparing to the female flowers I posted above.

IMG_4130.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish I would have taken pictures of some persimmon flowers I was checking and grafting this past weekend. I referred back to one of Native Hunter's previous posts about the same topic. All of my first seedlings to flower have been male. A few of my grafts from three years ago have started to flower this year. I had some grafts flower the first year, but they dropped fruits. Buds are forming after 5 days on these in my yard (Pic #1 is a whip & tongue graft and a bud graft, Pic #2 are 2 bark grafts).20240524_201454.jpg20240524_201521.jpg

If anyone knows of a place that is still selling sticks of Morris Burton, Prok or any of the other well known eating varieties, please let me know. I have 3 or 4 more trees I would like to do this year.

If anyone knows of a place that is still selling sticks of Morris Burton, Prok or any of the other well known eating varieties, please let me know. I have 3 or 4 more trees I would like to do this year.
Not sure what they still have available but worth a shot.

When I went back to get better pictures all the blooms were gone. Had a terrible wind day(20-40 mph) so I guess it blew them all off. I did see this if this will help.

Attachments

• IMG_7460.jpeg
    IMG_7460.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 30
When I went back to get better pictures all the blooms were gone. Had a terrible wind day(20-40 mph) so I guess it blew them all off. I did see this if this will help.

That's a persimmon fruit beginning to form.

That’s what I was thinking. Thanks!

Fruitwood Nursery still has some Persimmon scionwood in stock including the two varieties mentioned.

one of mine from this weekend from tree planted bare root 12/18
I've been planting persimmon since 2019 and it seems like some of my 3 year old trees are bigger than the 5 year olds. They definitely like some growing conditions over others.

How big of a tree is the bare root from 2018?

I planted most of mine in '19 as well. I'll echo that they grow at vastly different rates. Some aren't that much bigger than when they were planted and others are an 1.5-2" thick and 10 feet tall. The first to flower for me have been males. They seem to grow faster than the females but my sample size isnt big enough to make a definitive statement on that. A couple grafts

Attachments

• 20240518_144158.jpg
    20240518_144158.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240518_123124.jpg
    20240518_123124.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I've been planting persimmon since 2019 and it seems like some of my 3 year old trees are bigger than the 5 year olds. They definitely like some growing conditions over others.

How big of a tree is the bare root from 2018?
~ 6ft

I was happy to see flowers, let alone fruit at this age

bill

Stopped by the local Wally, their remaining Chestnut Hill persimmon trees were on sale for fifteen bucks. Grabbed a Morris Burton and a Prok.20240530_153816_HDR.jpg

And why not?

always room for one more tree

bill