Mystery tree

KickapooKid#1

5 year old buck +
I have this tree that I planted in 2017 is supposed to be a Wickson on m111. I’m pretty positive it’s not. My best guess is that it’s a Northern spy. Way behind all my other trees for blooming and it has only produced 1 fruit that wasn’t a crab. Cummins nursery description of N. Spy seems to fit. I’m happy I have a Galarina right next to it for some bloom overlap. Galarina is my second slowest tree to bloom. Any ideas? My other guess would be a Winecrisp.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    678.7 KB · Views: 32
I have a prairie spy that has a similar upright growth habit and is also later that most.

Where did you get the tree? It's got to be something they offered. IF you have an older picture of the color code they painted on it.

Take a picture of the lower part of the tree. Does the tree have a noticeable graft union? This might be part of an experiment I am doing.. M111 rootstock is 3/4's northern spy. It's possible the scion did not take at the nursery.

Whatever M111 doesn't take a scion this year will stay M111 at my home. I grafted 2 or 3 scions to water whips on mature trees this year as well. I am thinking just planting m111 rootstocks would produce good fall apples for a low cost. Might be a good chance to have fruit trees where summer drought are common. Put a bunch of rootstocks in and only a few survive until they make good roots.

Whats with the black mesh on the top of your trunk protection?

Can you take some pictures of the leaves this summer and maybe some pictures every few weeks in the fall. Trying to figure out Ripeness dates and drop times for M111. Cutting open the fruit to show color of flesh and seeds. Sometimes taste is tough to determine on fresh apples. They have more distinct flavor when they're in the fridge for a few weeks. IT can be hard to distinguish between firm apples and not quite ripe apples, especially if the ripeness date is unknown.

Last edited:
I got the tree from Cummins nursery. It’s definitely a grafted tree with different paint marks on scion and rootstock when I planted and when I removed cage and replaced the screen a few years ago.