Pear blossoms and froat

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I finally have blossoms on my pear trees at home. It’s only 2-3 trees, but they’re calling for a temp of 31 this week and these are low
Lying on the property, they’ll get frost.

Covering isn’t a great option due to lay of the land.

Should I take a fire ring and start a blaze before bedtime, or is there a spray to put on the night before to prevent losing the blooms.

Doggone it, I want my pears this year

31 I wouldn't worry. Below 30 starts to become a concern.

Welcome to April.

So what do you do when it drops? Now it says 28. I’m in full bloom

Pray ;)

I don’t have pears but plenty of apples. Unless it’s a nasty frost usually something ends up producing still. Is it expected to warm quickly in the morning?

If you are close to a water supply, you might hook up a lawn sprinkler and spray water on the trees through the one cold night. At 28 degrees, the continuous water spray would be enough to do the trick. You could hook everything up before dark and just turn it on after dark when it starts getting cold.

See frost damage info attached.

Attachments

• Assessing Frost Damage.jpg
    Assessing Frost Damage.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 38
I'm in Virginia zone 7 and would really like to add a few pears from the wildlife group.....BUT I'm not sure if it would be worth it. The last 2 years my pears ( Dr Deer pear, Moonglow , Kieffer pear , Native Nurseries wild deer pear) got hit with frost and no pears. Pears seem to blossom out at least two weeks earlier than my apples & crabs. This year out of 7 pear trees ONE a NativNursery "wild deer pear" somehow wasn't effected by the frost and actually has quite a few pears forming and all my pear trees are in the same area in a row .

Now to see how big the "wild deer pears" actually get....in the old NN video they said golf ball sized, BUT I've heard some say they got small pears like a Bradford or callery pear , and maybe that's why they stopped selling them, So 1 pear tree out of 7 producing isn't good odds.... So roy munson if no or small crops become a yearly thing due to frost , I'm thinking plant more crabs in the future instead of pears.

1st year with a pear tree on my property. It was the 1st thing to bud out over all other fruit trees. Had to change some orders due to a torn bicep in early march. But went with enterprise, empire, granny smith, golden delicious, and pristine mainly due to them being in flowering groups 3 and 4. I wish these smaller tree vendors would elaborate a bit more on their proprietary species. Bloom times, years to bear, ripe dates, drop times, disease resistance.

For years I'd see these big propellers on a mast and snot spinning in the orchards. Thought they were broken wind mill water wells. Orchards runs these big blowers to de-statifty the air help to mix the air with higher up warmer air and picking up some warmth from the ground too.

At home I have a double row of 10 trees, a random tree here n there, and another single row of 8 or so. I was going to put out 2 or 3 electric fans and leave them running overnight to see if it works. These home trees will be sprayed, but still look for low to no maintenance trees.

Anybody try spraying crop oil before a frost event?