Pennington Fast acting lime on sale

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
I went to Home Depot the other day and they had Pennington Fast acting lime on sale the other day. It was $15 for a #30lb bag, on sale for $3.83. I picked up 15 bags. They claim it is equal to 5 bags of regular lime. I don't know about that, but it is supposed to work right away. I figured if they can sell it for this much, there has to be something to it. Any thoughts? I just wanted to post this so if anybody wants to try it. The price is right.

What store?
I just called Elk River and the guy was completely stumped.... I think asking for Lime this time of year started off his confusion. :)

What make this lime "fast acting" compared to other lime is the particle size, nothing more, nothing less. This is pellet lime, with tiny particles most likely somewhere in the 200 mesh screen area(i.e., very, very fine powder), held together with a binding agent. It works relatively fast compared to other lime because moisture will break down the binding agent and "release" the fine powdered lime particles into the soil, as opposed to larger 60-100 mesh screen particles which take much longer to break down and bind to soil particles. As far as being able to replace 5 bags of conventional lime, fat chance, calcium of equal CCE is still going to require the same amount be applied, regardless of particle size. In that case, it appears to do the job of 5 bags because there are less of the tiny particles in a bag of "regular lime", so it looks like it is doing a better job with less product. What they don't tell you is the smaller particles leach faster and don't last as long in the soil profile as the larger lime particles, so you end up applying it more often. Still not a bad price for small out of the way plots!

Last edited:
Menards sells 40# pell lime for $3.98 every day in my area.

You have to compare the CCE # to see if the effectiveness of the lime is equivalent to other liming products to see if that is a good value or not.

Last edited:
You mean the CCE #.....Calcium Carbonate Equivalent. You are correct, this determines the quality of the lime.

Yeah that's it! Stupid spell check keep's changing it every time I type it in for some reason.

You mean the CCE #.....Calcium Carbonate Equivalent. You are correct, this determines the quality of the lime.
Fixed it! lol:D I had to use the "ignore spelling" button to make it go through though.:mad:

I've been limited to using those dang little bags until I can get a driveway good enough to get ag lime trucked in. Cut open more than I care to think about. Just a bandaid though since it leaches through my sand so quickly.

What make this lime "fast acting" compared to other lime is the particle size, nothing more, nothing less. This is pellet lime, with tiny particles most likely somewhere in the 200 mesh screen area(i.e., very, very fine powder), held together with a binding agent. It works relatively fast compared to other lime because moisture will break down the binding agent and "release" the fine powdered lime particles into the soil, as opposed to larger 60-100 mesh screen particles which take much longer to break down and bind to soil particles. As far as being able to replace 5 bags of conventional lime, fat chance, calcium of equal CEC is still going to require the same amount be applied, regardless of particle size. In that case, it appears to do the job of 5 bags because there are less of the tiny particles in a bag of "regular lime", so it looks like it is doing a better job with less product. What they don't tell you is the smaller particles leach faster and don't last as long in the soil profile as the larger lime particles, so you end up applying it more often. Still not a bad price for small out of the way plots!
The CCE says 96.6%. You are right 50% will pass thru a 200 mesh. They claim they have added technology that binds the fine articles to slow down leaching. I'm going to mix this with pelletized lime on the 1 1/4 acre plot I didn't spread Ag lime on last year. It would be nice if it works right away. I can't believe someone would pay $15 a bag for this. One garden store online was asking $46.50 for a #30 bag!

We had the same issue on our sands in Juneau Co. I can't remember the exact number for sure, but I'm pretty sure we put 10 to 12 tons of lime on our south plot over the course of 15 -20 years and the ph still only hovered around 6.:mad:

The CCE says 96.6%. You are right 50% will pass thru a 200 mesh. They claim they have added technology that binds the fine articles to slow down leaching. I'm going to mix this with pelletized lime on the 1 1/4 acre plot I didn't spread Ag lime on last year. It would be nice if it works right away. I can't believe someone would pay $15 a bag for this. One garden store online was asking $46.50 for a #30 bag!
The folks who are just putting it on their lawns don't need much and don't have a clue, so it doesn't even phase them.

They are just hunting for the Ignorant. That's why there is a huge market for $10/lb BOB food plot seed too.

What store?
I just called Elk River and the guy was completely stumped.... I think asking for Lime this time of year started off his confusion. :)
I looked up on the Home Depot website for Elk River. They have the product online. It has it listed for $15 a bag, but so did my store in Lake Geneva, WI. In store it was marked down. I think you can get a free pick up at your store. I can picture the confusion. I got a couple of funny looks, and one guy said he thinks its a little early for that, as I was carting it out.

Last year, early in the spring, I think it was TSC who had 40# bags of their pelletized lime for $3/bag...that was a pretty good deal, for pelletized. However, if you can get a spreader to your plots, ag lime is still the way to go.