Pears in wi and mn?

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
I know they can be grown but was wondering if anyone on here has had luck growing pears in wi or mn? I think my dad has tried a couple box store trees with no success

I hope others with personal with experience with chime in. The problem with box store pears is that I can pretty much guarantee that any offered in your country arent going to be hardy there, but that wont stop them from selling them to you. I am growing out some varieties that are reportedly cold hardy to -40 to -50 degrees.

There have been some posts on pears within the last several months, might be able to search for em. I remember posting this list from Maple Valley Orchards near Gillett before. They don't have any bareroots for 2016 but at least the list should let you know about hardiness. I have a few wild pears on my land in Shawano county from an ancient tree down the road in farmers's front yard. The wild ones take forever to produce though. The ones sprouting from seed are much smaller fruit than the ones from the grand old tree still hanging in there but was heavily topped being under a powerline.

Aurora
Origin: Geneva, New York - 1964 Ripens: August Zone: 4 - 7
Uses: Eating, Sauce
A large, yellow pear that has some russeting. Flesh is juicy, sweet and very aromatic. A high quality dessert pear that keeps well.
Clapps Favorite
Origin: Ripens: Late August Zone: 4 - 7
Uses: Baking, Eating, Pies
A very large yellow-green pear, with a red blush. This pear is juicy, crisp and sweet. Fruit will ripen on the tree. Trees are very hardy and vigorous but can be susceptible to fire blight.
Clapp's Favorite, Red
Origin: Ripens: Early September Zone: 4 - 7
Yellow fruit with bright red blush. A very productive, winter hard tree but susceptible to fire blight.
Conference
Origin: England - 1894 Ripens: September Zone: 4 - 7
A medium to large, green pear that has some russeting. The yellow flesh is sweet and juicy. A very good keeper but very susceptible to fire blight.
Des Urbanistes
Origin: Belgium Ripens: October Zone: 4 - 7
A round, pale yellow, russeted pear. Flesh is buttery and white with a delicious flavor.
Flemish Beauty
Origin: 1810 Ripens: August Zone: 4 - 7
Uses: Eating, Pies
Large, yellow pear with a rich flavor. It is a great pear for eating or canning. This is a very winter hardy pear but is susceptible to fire blight.
German A
Origin: Ripens: Zone: 4 - 6
Unnamed seedling. A very large pear which grows up to one pound. Very good for eating and sauce. Not for canning.
German C-Tree Ripe
Origin: Ripens: Zone: 4 - 7
Bosc type pear. One of the few pears that is good tree ripened.
Golden Spice
Origin: Ripens: October Zone: 4 - 6
A very good eating pear but not a keeper.
Gourmet
Origin: South Dakota - 1988 Ripens: September Zone: 3 - 6
A medium size, green/yellow pear with yellow, crisp, juicy sweet flesh with a somewhat thick skin. Not a pollinator.
Japanese Golden Russet
Uses: Eating
A russeted asian pear.
Luscious
Origin: Ripens: September Zone: 4 - 7
Uses: Baking, Eating, Pies, Sauce
Medium sized bright yellow fruit that is juicy and sweet. Glossy green foliage that has a good red fall color. An excellent dessert pear that is fireblight resistant.
Nova
Origin: Ripens: Mid Sept. Zone: 3 - 6
Uses: Baking, Eating
Fruit is large, round, melting and very juicy. The fruit can be used either green or ripe.
Parker
Origin: Ripens: September Zone: 4 - 7
A large yellow bronze fruit that is fine grained, juicy, and tender. An upright and vigorous grower. Pollinate with any other pear variety.
Patten
Origin: Ripens: Late Sept. Zone: 2 - 2
Very large fruit. Should be picked about one week before ripening and then allow to ripen. This is a fair canning pear.
Rotkottis Frau Ostergotland
A red fleshed pear
Spartlett
Origin: Ripens: Early Sept. Zone: 2 - 2
Uses: Baking, Eating
This is an improved Bartlett pear with the fruit being at least 1/3 larger. The trees are hardy but susceptible to fire blight.
Summer Crisp
Origin: Minnesota - 1933 Ripens: Mid August Zone: 4 - 6
Uses: Baking, Eating, Sauce
Medium size pear with sweet, crisp flesh.
Winter Nelis
Origin: Belgium Ripens: Late September Zone: 4 - 7
Uses: Baking, Eating, Pies
It is slightly yellowish-green in color with broad areas of dull reddish-brown overtones. This pear, which has a firm but very juicy and sweet flesh, is excellent as a snack or for use in baking.

Here is one I picked out of the ditch between the 2nd and 3rd week in September from a tree about halfway between my land and the mother tree. These are about 50% bigger than what I get but still undersized compared to the original tree
DSC01859 (Small).JPG

I planted some in 2012 and 2013, cold hardy varieties sold by St. Lawrence Nursery. I lost a couple but IMO overall survival rate has been pretty good considering the sand I have and the droughts and extreme winters they have endured.

Turkey creek What varieties did you plant? I'm looking at Patton, possibly summer crisp. St Lawrence nursery has quite a variety as well I know, Bueller any fruit yet? How big are they after 4 years? Any clue on what specific type they are?

Turkey creek What varieties did you plant? I'm looking at Patton, possibly summer crisp. St Lawrence nursery has quite a variety as well I know, Bueller any fruit yet? How big are they after 4 years? Any clue on what specific type they are?
No fruit yet. They are all on standard rootstock so I don't expect any for a couple more years yet. They were approximately 3' whips when I planted and the best are now 6-7'. I plan to kick up the fertilizer this spring after laying off for the first couple years while they established themselves. Summercrisp, Patten, Waterville, Savignac, and Southworth. The best growers so far have been summercrisp and patten but the jury is still out.

Vavilov, Southworth, Michurin Beurre, Cabot, Nova, Pioneer #3 and Stacey probably a couple more that I cant think of right off hand.

I have had good luck so far with Flemish Beauty and Summercrisp. Summercrisp is growing like a weed in my sand.

I have had good luck so far with Flemish Beauty and Summercrisp. Summercrisp is growing like a weed in my sand.
I have had bad luck with these two and a couple others. They have suffered severe winter die back the last two winters. With the die back the strongest have turned into bushes. With this mild winter I am hoping they turn the corner this year. Perhaps I will try to prune them back to a single leader but they are kind of neat as a bush. I have given up on them so if they turn into anything it will be a bonus.