Paul Knox "inspiring"

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I Read through Pauls "Life an times at dbltree" today on outreach outdoors from start to finish. Inspiring to say the least. Paul has a way with words that digs deep into a mans soul an tugs on those things that we often put on the back burner. Being a father to 2 young boys made his journal speak to me as a young father. His relationship with his son is all I can hope and pray for with my 2 sons. He often states how at one time he loved hunting more than his family and that there was a point that it all changed. I have been guilty of this at times but no more. To truly lead by example we have to put others before ourselves and what you get in return speaks for itself. We all see the overwhelming support this man has received. This did not happen out of pity. It happened because he had the courage to do what God wants out of a man. To go against the grain of modern society and be that guy that leads by example and puts God first in a me first society. One of the many things that really impressed me is how he found an unbelievable balance in life between Faith, Love for his family and Passion for land stewardship. God will undoubtedly welcome Paul when the time comes with arms wide open.
I just wanted to take a second to Thank Paul Knox. He has inspired yet another to push himself in being a better man.

Well said Jordan...Paul has truly inspired thousands!

Very well stated Jordan.

On the old threads I had a few exchanges with Paul and found him quite knowledgeable. And always willing to help. But, I am a little opinionated at times, and that possibly is the understatement of the year. I was not sold on Paul's belief of growing various plants in strips next to each other. And I said so, yet he was always kind and never took a disagreement personally. He was as bent on learning as he was teaching IMO.

Well, I regretted not being able to tell him before he passed, but I am sure he smiles down at my farm knowing his methods are used all over it. I tried his strips two years ago and had the best deer activity ever. So this year, I spent all of Spring/Summer redoing my plots. I kept the main one but extended it per some instruction from Jeff Sturgis writings. I now have a 6.25 continuous, weaving plot that has 3 distinct strips. I will add another acre next year that is fallow right now and already connects to this plot.

Only the good die young, and that is why he is now in heaven, and I will probably be here for a lot more time:)

On the old threads I had a few exchanges with Paul and found him quite knowledgeable. And always willing to help. But, I am a little opinionated at times, and that possibly is the understatement of the year. I was not sold on Paul's belief of growing various plants in strips next to each other. And I said so, yet he was always kind and never took a disagreement personally. He was as bent on learning as he was teaching IMO.

Well, I regretted not being able to tell him before he passed, but I am sure he smiles down at my farm knowing his methods are used all over it. I tried his strips two years ago and had the best deer activity ever. So this year, I spent all of Spring/Summer redoing my plots. I kept the main one but extended it per some instruction from Jeff Sturgis writings. I now have a 6.25 continuous, weaving plot that has 3 distinct strips. I will add another acre next year that is fallow right now and already connects to this plot.

Only the good die young, and that is why he is now in heaven, and I will probably be here for a lot more time:)

I have not tried to strips. Let's see pics of your plot! 6.25 is a monster!

Jordon,
I had not posted pictures for so long on the Old Forum, and I am new here, I have to see if I can remember how to load pictures to Photobucket. I am not sure I will remember. Is there a thread here that walks us through posting pictures? I will do my best, thanks.

Jordon,
I had not posted pictures for so long on the Old Forum, and I am new here, I have to see if I can remember how to load pictures to Photobucket. I am not sure I will remember. Is there a thread here that walks us through posting pictures? I will do my best, thanks.
Their is I will see if I can find it an bump it to the top

DSCF1997.jpg
DSCF1997.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCF1997.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Here is my first attempt at it. This would be the soybeans, hammered by the deer is why they look short, with brassica seed broadcasted into them after they were sprayed with gly.

Obviously did not work:)

Second attempt did! To the right of the beans is the strip planted 3 weekends ago that includes rye grain, peas, winter bulbs and radish. This is 4.25 acres but it does not look that big because of the undulation in the ground. This portion goes all the way to the far tree line, where 2 more acres wrap around to the other side of the tree line.

Last edited:
DSCF1992.jpg

This is looking back the from the other end by the tree line in the above photo. Again, the undulation of the ground cannot let you appreciate the length of this plot.

DSCF1990.jpg

This is the two acres connect to the above 4. It is Z shaped so you cannot see the end of it. It goes all of the way to the upper left corner of woods in this picture. The finger of woods on the right side of the picture is the woods at the south end of the 4.25 acres above. I left 3 acres of WSNG next to the woods for some bedding. This was planted last weekend in WW, rye grain, oats and red and ladino clover with just a hint of radish. It will be a clover field for next year but I will mow it after the WW matures and will have some wheat for next fall with this approach. There is another 1 plus acre at the north end (this is the south end) that will be worked next year, it was left fallow this year.

Sorry that I made you look for instructions, hope you saw this before working too long! Thanks!