Opinions needed. My target buck is in field now that I planned to hunt tomorrow morning.

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
Do I hunt that same field hoping he sticks around or try to guess another spot.

Wind and access are my number 1 determinants. If you can hunt the field without spooking him go for it.

I personally don't hunt fields though. If I saw him in a field tonight I'd be setting as close to his bedding as possible in the morning.

Do you have history with him? Does he have a pattern? I've found rut bucks stick around (or are present in the daylight) for about 3 days. After that they change or move.

Just personal thoughts. Many better hunters out there than I that will likely give better advice.

Good luck!

Wind and access are my number 1 determinants. If you can hunt the field without spooking him go for it.

I personally don't hunt fields though. If I saw him in a field tonight I'd be setting as close to his bedding as possible in the morning.

Do you have history with him? Does he have a pattern? I've found rut bucks stick around (or are present in the daylight) for about 3 days. After that they change or move.

Just personal thoughts. Many better hunters out there than I that will likely give better advice.

Good luck!
I guess that’s what I meant. Access to and from that field. I only hunt the fields in rut.

Do I hunt that same field hoping he sticks around or try to guess another spot.
No expert here but I say go for it. One of my targets has appeared daytime in the same plot 4 days in a row now. I don't recall any daytime shots of him prior to that. Unfortunately I'm not there to hunt.
Exactly my fear for the buck I mentioned. Fingers crossed his pattern holds into Saturday but I wouldn't wager much on it.

I might actually go a little later and hunt my way in just in case. Movement is going to last longer and longer so there should still be plenty of time to sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the afternoon yes go. I wouldn't walk into a field in the AM dark until rut is full bore.
I've seen the same mature buck from the same stand two days in a row. Doesn't always happen but it sure can.

No expert here but I say go for it. One of my targets has appeared daytime in the same plot 4 days in a row now. I don't recall any daytime shots of him prior to that. Unfortunately I'm not there to hunt.

Exactly my fear for the buck I mentioned. Fingers crossed his pattern holds into Saturday but I wouldn't wager much on it.
Also rut here not until late January. Ha

In the afternoon yes go. I wouldn't walk into a field in the AM dark until rut is full bore.
I've seen the same mature buck from the same stand two days in a row. Doesn't always happen but it sure can.
Mine seem to rotate on a three day cycle. I think patterning a pre rut buck is fun but hard as hell

I might actually go a little later and hunt my way in just in case. Movement is going to last longer and longer so there should still be plenty of time to sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea.

I was super lucky this year.

There was three of them bedded near BLM land, I tried to get on them, the biggest saw me and skeedaddedeld.

The next morning I had the smallest one in range, the second biggest one came out on private land and caught my scent…..

It hauled ass…..the little one following.

The next afternoon the big one came in …..it appears looking for his buddies…..wind was perfect. The ol savage 220 got her done!

Last edited:
Not big by most standards, but there was only one bigger I had the drop on this year. Unfortunately it was on land I hadn’t asked permission. Only 5 yards from my property line. It had jumped the fence…was on my land but obstructed. And it wasn’t much bigger.

Attachments

• A18F8AD4-EF4A-412E-A4A0-4F24382E22F0.jpeg
    A18F8AD4-EF4A-412E-A4A0-4F24382E22F0.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Not big by most standards, but there was only one bigger I had the drop on this year. Unfortunately it was on land I hadn’t asked permission. Only 5 yards from my property line.
Great buck Angus!

Congratulations!

Not big by most standards, but there was only one bigger I had the drop on this year. Unfortunately it was on land I hadn’t asked permission. Only 5 yards from my property line. It had jumped the fence…was on my land but obstructed. And it wasn’t much bigger.
Congratulations on filling a tag! It’s satisfying to harvest on land you own and have the experiences such hunts provide!

Congratulations on filling a tag! It’s satisfying to harvest on land you own and have the experiences such hunts provided.

This one was harvested on BLM. They were bedding on land( three of them.) I didn’t have permission.

I stalked them and blew this one out away from his buddies. Up the mountain on BLM he frantically ran. His buddies held tight and remained calm. Two afternoons later he came off the mountain to try to get back to the bedding area. He seemed agitated . Almost lost.

I blew his two buddies out the previous morning. ( the smaller one came out jumped the fence was on BLM ground and was working towards me. The bigger one scented me. I was uphill on BLM the thermals were heading to them. I think the smaller one hadn’t identified human scent with danger).

We had perfect wind for an afternoon stalk.

My previous encounters taught me where they cross the neighbors fence from the BLM.

Last edited: