Opinion on matriarch doe's?

Daydreamer

5 year old buck +
Want to get the prevailing opinion on matriarch doe's? I hunt 120 acres in 601 and there is a matriarch doe that has been around since at least 2009 when I started hunting the property. She was the first deer I ever captured with trail cam. She has a very distinct dark face. Heck she may be the mom to the 161" I shot in 2012...
Just like everyone else I'm trying to increase the population. Last year she put out triplets and this year I've yet to catch any of her fawns on trailcam. Seem like her family group is the only full time resident of this property. Other's come and go. Is she pushing others off? Thoughts? Leave her be to continue to build herd or try to take her out???

Old Doe's come into heat first, and draw the bucks to your area first. We try and leave the old doe's alone and create habitat to increase the space between the old doe's and the young doe's bedding places.

I say take em out. Them old bags love to look up trees for hunters and love to snort when they think you're nearby. I also think they become territorial with other deer which doesn't work on small parcels.

last year was the 2nd year of harvesting 40 does a year. We were taking few before that. The Age structure really dropped last year, but I still had many over 5, and a 8 year plus. Based on utter size I've seen few 6 year plus does which were recently feeding fawns. From what I've seen the best fawning years are 2-5 years old. Most twins coming at 3-5.
If she didn't have a fawn this year, I personally believe she won't have one next year either. that's giving you nothing to grow the herd. Possibly hurting you, imo.

I say take em out. Them old bags love to look up trees for hunters and love to snort when they think you're nearby. I also think they become territorial with other deer which doesn't work on small parcels.
absolutely, they snort and stomp because they know they won't get shot, and telling everyone else how to avoid getting shot.
Since I've been killing them, they just run when they bust me. Deer are very adaptable. They are still a stupid animal, but they have very good survival instincts.

I like them old does. They're your best producers and I like that wariness of them past on as well. A younger, less smart deer will walk to your neighbors land and get shot while an older, wiser deer will stay in heavier cover and not leave a safe place you've made. The only time I would shoot an older doe would be when there's an overabundance of deer and the herd needs thinning.

If they are not busting you regularly and are still producing multiple offspring each year leave them be, otherwise, kill-em'-all.

EDIT(for the MN guys and others trying to build their herds): Just to clarify, I mean kill all the unproductive, ninja-like does, as they do nothing to improve your hunting success at that point, even if you are trying to "rebuild" your deer herd. If they are a true matriarchal doe, they will drive off other productive does that could be rearing offspring on your place.

Last edited:
When it comes to does I simply shoot the biggest one in the group I can. I'm not picky, but I'm not trying to rebuild a herd either - my numbers locally are pretty stable.

If you are trying to rebuild your numbers then you want to leave the most productive does alone. Once your numbers are where you want them - then those smart old does need to go.

Thanks for the insights guys. I have no doubt she produced fawns this year. I've seen tracks but she typically keeps them hidden from cams until middle of summer.

Thanks for the insights guys. I have no doubt she produced fawns this year. I've seen tracks but she typically keeps them hidden from cams until middle of summer.
If she's still producing offspring and u want more deer, let the baby machine Keep rolling.

I would shoot that OL girl if your numbers are good an you have other doe's around. I bet she is running the young bucks off. If she produced a couple button bucks this year they will likely to stay right where they were raised up if you take her out.

I would shoot that OL girl if your numbers are good an you have other doe's around. I bet she is running the young bucks off. If she produced a couple button bucks this year they will likely to stay right where they were raised up if you take her out.

You did!;)

As we have the numbers!:)

I really only like to shoot 2 types of does.
Eating does fit in my bow case.

Now if an old girl raises a fuss around my stand too many times, her days are short. "If..." I can get the drop on her.
She gets donated to feed the poor.

Shot one of those opening day of rifle last season at 2:00PM. She raised a fuss up wind of me for last time.

Whack her.

We hunted like the three stooges for years to get the one doe out of our woods at home. She was notorious for looking right up at each stand while she was far outta range and she would weaze like you'd never heard before. She'd have twins every year, and then run them out as soon as spring rolled around again. She was great at producing deer for other places, but wouldn't let them stay. As I ripped my hair out in frustration, my buddies got a kick out of our antics to shoot the one deer in McLeod county. She ran off weazing as if she was laughing each time. Mel Brooks couldn't have made a better comedy.

At our place, does are off limits. So I cant comment. :)

2010 I shot one that was tooth aged at 6.5 to 7.5. Amazing what those matriarchs look like compared to the yearling does when they come by together.....

Would love to do it again somtime! Just remember I hang stands an do other farm chores to shoot doe's;)

You know where I am at!

And yes, if there are stands to move you will be helping again!

And if there is beer to drink, and there will be, you will be helping with that as well!:)

I agree with a lot of the above,. but one more comment.

If those old does raise triplets, bust you in the stand, and keep their fawns hid from deer cams, they are probably great at protecting fawns from predators.

Leave her be if you want to grow the herd.

Last edited:
Good point 'Bur. Good news is that the neighbor trapped 26 coyotes this winter as well from about a 3 sq mile area.

Good point 'Bur. Good news is that the neighbor trapped 26 coyotes this winter as well from about a 3 sq mile area.

Holy crap!!! Now that's a good neighbor!