All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion on Fall planting

Cuervo

5 year old buck +
For the first time in 3 tries I have a successful spring planted plot because of the rain we've received. Amazing how easy this is if the sand gets enough water. The plot has oats, buckwheat, sunflowers, soybeans and clover. I probably planted the oats too thick in places because I'm used to having poor germination, so I overcompensate.

My initial thought was to broadcast turnips and AWP this weekend, flatten everything (per Dippers approach), and then in August broadcast winter rye. Assuming the buckwheat and oats will eventually whither and the newly planted seeds will take over. I don't care, in fact I hope to get some volunteer oats and Buckwheat.

Does anyone have any countering thoughts or does this sound viable....assuming we get rain of course. IMG_20150708_125658111 (640x360).jpg

I noticed I posted this in the wrong forum...maybe the moderator can move it?

I don't think that seeding brassicas and rolling your plot is a bad idea but I'm a little hesitant to destroy a nice green plot right at the time when the hot and dry weather usually sets up. Just like how mowing clover wouldn't be recommended right now. Have you considered leaving the plot standing for another 4 weeks or so and then broadcasting winter rye and radishes into it?

Yes I have, I guess that's why I'm asking for advice. I should mention that I just use a lawn roller for cultipacking...I assumed it wouldn't kill most of the plants. I don't have an issue with waiting if those with more experience (like you) think I should.

Thanks

I'd wait till the end of Aug to do anything. Then do your plan of rye, peas and sub radish for the turnips just before a rain.

I might do strips, mow/roll some now with brassicas and later with cereal grains , peas , clover, radishes around labor day.

Thanks for your replies, I'll wait until August for most of it but will plant some next weekend in a small portion of the plot just to see what happens. I do appreciate the advice.

Yes I have, I guess that's why I'm asking for advice. I should mention that I just use a lawn roller for cultipacking...I assumed it wouldn't kill most of the plants. I don't have an issue with waiting if those with more experience (like you) think I should.

Thanks
It will kill your buckwheat, the stems will likely snap when rolled and the plant will die. If it hasn't set seed you will not get the benefit of volunteer seed at this point anyway, so I would wait a bit longer as others have suggested. Just leave it for now and do all your work in Aug when you planned on planting the rye anyway.