Ok to mix gly and 2-4D together?

seadonist

5 year old buck +
I'm assuming it's ok to mix these together with water in my sprayer so I can kill grasses and broadleaf plants in one pass, but I'm not a pro or a chemist so I figured I would run through you guys. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you feel you need to mix the two?

Because I have some broadleaf plants that were unaffected by the gly application and the grasses are going to need another application and in an effort to save time I was wondering if mixing the two and spraying them together would be ok.

You will find some who will advocate spraying one and the the other a day apart. But, tank mixing the two is acceptable and routine. I guess it goes without saying, but don't mix the concentrates together. Mixi them in the sprayer tank.

You will find some who will advocate spraying one and the the other a day apart. But, tank mixing the two is acceptable and routine. I guess it goes without saying, but don't mix the concentrates together. Mixi them in the sprayer tank.

Yes, I was planing on filling the tank with water and then adding the gly and 2-4D

Read the label and keep in mind they don't just kill different weeds, their action is different as well. Make sure you consider the crop you are planting next. There are even different forms of 24d that have different residual effects.

I'll give you an example of what I'm planning right now. I am having an issue with Marestail which laughs at gly. I planted some soybeans that were hit so hard by deer their food value is becoming quite small. Normally I surface broadcast a cover crop into the standing beans when they yellow, but instead, I'm gong to take this opportunity to deal with the weed of some of the bean fields and I'll let deer use what is left in the others for the rest of summer.

Tomorrow I plan to spray 24-D Amine. It has a soil residual effect unlike glyphosate. After it has had a week to do its thing, I'm going to do some minimal tillage. I'll use a tiller and set it so high it is chewing up vegetation but only hits the top inch or less of soil. Just enough to break any crust. My hope is the 24-D Amine kills the marestail so it does not regenerate from the roots. About 2 weeks after that (3 weeks after spraying the 24-D Amine), I'll plant. I'll surface broadcast my cover crop mix (WR, CC, and Turnips) and then spray with glyphosate. That 2 weeks after the light tillage should give any new weeds time to start growing. They will be young, tender, and very susceptible to gly.

This is not to say you can't tank mix. It all depends on your situation and what you are trying to accomplish. Spraying gly at the last minute gives my cover crop a better advantage over weeds rather than giving the weeds a head-start. Spraying 24-D Amine early gives time for the soil effects to diminish prior to planting.

Thanks,

Jack

Read the label and keep in mind they don't just kill different weeds, their action is different as well. Make sure you consider the crop you are planting next. There are even different forms of 24d that have different residual effects.

I'll give you an example of what I'm planning right now. I am having an issue with Marestail which laughs at gly. I planted some soybeans that were hit so hard by deer their food value is becoming quite small. Normally I surface broadcast a cover crop into the standing beans when they yellow, but instead, I'm gong to take this opportunity to deal with the weed of some of the bean fields and I'll let deer use what is left in the others for the rest of summer.

Tomorrow I plan to spray 24-D Amine. It has a soil residual effect unlike glyphosate. After it has had a week to do its thing, I'm going to do some minimal tillage. I'll use a tiller and set it so high it is chewing up vegetation but only hits the top inch or less of soil. Just enough to break any crust. My hope is the 24-D Amine kills the marestail so it does not regenerate from the roots. About 2 weeks after that (3 weeks after spraying the 24-D Amine), I'll plant. I'll surface broadcast my cover crop mix (WR, CC, and Turnips) and then spray with glyphosate. That 2 weeks after the light tillage should give any new weeds time to start growing. They will be young, tender, and very susceptible to gly.

This is not to say you can't tank mix. It all depends on your situation and what you are trying to accomplish. Spraying gly at the last minute gives my cover crop a better advantage over weeds rather than giving the weeds a head-start. Spraying 24-D Amine early gives time for the soil effects to diminish prior to planting.

Thanks,

Jack

10-4. I will not plant until mid-September at the earliest and I don't plan on tilling the soil so hopefully the 2-4D will have dissipated enough by planting time. I will be planting WW, WR, Oates and clover

I use interline and gly,interline will kill marestail and pigweed and doesn't have residual or drift like 24-d.

I use interline and gly,interline will kill marestail and pigweed and doesn't have residual or drift like 24-d.

Looks like purchasing online is the only way to get it.? Where do you get it from?

10-4. I will not plant until mid-September at the earliest and I don't plan on tilling the soil so hopefully the 2-4D will have dissipated enough by planting time. I will be planting WW, WR, Oates and clover

To be honest, weeds are more of an issue with spring planting than fall planting in my area but I still like applying gly at planting time rather than earlier. If you don't have the time to spray twice, a tank mix will certainly work. By the way, you might want to add your general location or USDA hardiness zone to your profile.

Thanks,

Jack

To be honest, weeds are more of an issue with spring planting than fall planting in my area but I still like applying gly at planting time rather than earlier. If you don't have the time to spray twice, a tank mix will certainly work. By the way, you might want to add your general location or USDA hardiness zone to your profile.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm new to the in-depth food plotting so I don't know what my USDA hardiness zone is (I'm sure a quick google search would tell me) but I'll add my location to my profile, which is south Mississippi. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.apparentag.com.au/documents/data/apparent-compatability-chart.pdf
Just got through researching this myself. Turns out my 2,4D amine was NOT compatible with my roundup. Wondered why the 2,4D label made no mention of mixing with Gly. Apparently the ester is the 2,4D that is mostly mixed with Gly. The label is the law.

http://www.apparentag.com.au/documents/data/apparent-compatability-chart.pdf
Just got through researching this myself. Turns out my 2,4D amine was NOT compatible with my roundup. Wondered why the 2,4D label made no mention of mixing with Gly. Apparently the ester is the 2,4D that is mostly mixed with Gly. The label is the law.

I guess that would make sense if the chemicals in the two could be molecularly changed when they come into contact with each other.

I'm new to the in-depth food plotting so I don't know what my USDA hardiness zone is (I'm sure a quick google search would tell me) but I'll add my location to my profile, which is south Mississippi. Thanks for the tip.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/ When you ask questions about food plotting or trees or whatever, the answers can be quite different based on location. You can find yours with your zip on the link.

Thanks,

Jack

I get mine from the local COOP.Interline is the generic for herbicide for liberty crops so check around for these dealers.Alot of the farmers around here are switching to liberty link beans and corn next year.Tired of RR gly not working