occational flooding

Smelly buck

A good 3 year old buck
I'm sure this has been addressed before but after searching the archives I really cant find much. Anyways I have a remote, small- just less than a half acre cleared off in NW FL and Im wanting to grow a fall plot. It does get a little wet back there. Last year it probably flooded three times total (worst case about 4-5 inches deep.) but drained off in a day or two. I have limed and fertilized it and grew a plot of buckwheat there this summer. I can carry in a small hand held gas tiller but that's about it. Id like to grow a fall plot with a mix of brassicas and clover. Any recommendations on something that can tolerate the occasional flooding.

Durana clover and wheat will withstand occassional, shortlived flooding - if you can get them established.

Thank for the reply, I have heard that elsewhere as well that the Durana might be the ticket. Probably be what I end up using.

I was researching the same last night. From what I've read....Alsike clover and deervetch do well in wet areas.

I’ve got Ladino planted in an area that gets 6 ft of floodwater on it for sometimes a month or more. It keeps coming back.

A couple things occur to me. The source of the flooding is important. The drainage characteristics of your soil profile is important. The type of soil and it's ability to hold nutrients and pH is important. It's hard to make a general statement here. I have two five acre fields just feet above the natural water table and adjacent to swamp. The top six inches to two feet is a nice, sandy loam. Beneath is a sticky clay, the kind used to make pottery. Most of the flooding in these two fields is from water piling up from upstream. The swamp water rises and floods the fields. I'm not sure of the pH of that water, but I've read it can be something like 4 to 5 with too many factors to consider to make a more specific call. If would be a perfect solution to apply to those two fields if the pH was too high and I need to drive it down.

Other times, the rain water just has no where to go. The soil is full. The swamp is full. So, it sits. Some areas will drain well when all the other water finds its way downstream. But there are spots that literally turn into small duck ponds.

It's a gamble but somehow we manage to grow some brassicacs, clovers, corn, and soybeans....but it can be spotty. I often doubt the wisdom of liming and fertilizing. It can only be diluted and washed away by all that water. Small grains like rye and wheat seem to do OK in these situations, but my brassicas drowned last year. The clovers I use would never be ready for a fall attraction. Plant what you want to plant and hope for the best is all I have. Good luck!