Oats

csw60970

Yearling... With promise
I have been reading through Lickcreek's posts. I am a huge believer in rye. With my lack of equipment and money, it has been integral in what I plant. I want to plant more of an old pasture for this fall. My plan is to go with rye and a red clover for this first fall. I will be doing a spray throw and mow method. As I was reading through his recommendations, he was really high on mixing in oats with with rye to give it more variety. Has anyone had much success with throw and now with oats? I should have a decent layer of thatch.

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had experience. Thanks in advance. I'm always lurking and trying to soak up all the knowledge. Hopefully I'll have some good experiences to share in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been reading through Lickcreek's posts. I am a huge believer in rye. With my lack of equipment and money, it has been integral in what I plant. I want to plant more of an old pasture for this fall. My plan is to go with rye and a red clover for this first fall. I will be doing a spray throw and mow method. As I was reading through his recommendations, he was really high on mixing in oats with with rye to give it more variety. Has anyone had much success with throw and now with oats? I should have a decent layer of thatch.

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had experience. Thanks in advance. I'm always lurking and trying to soak up all the knowledge. Hopefully I'll have some good experiences to share in the future.

Typically better to describe your property, soil type, Location (if you want), USDA zone, etc. because not knowing if you are in Minnesota or Arizona leaves a lot of ?????

More info is good but I'll go on limb and say if throw and grow rye has been working I'd say oats would also. Seed is just a little bigger.

More info is good but I'll go on limb and say if throw and grow rye has been working I'd say oats would also. Seed is just a little bigger.

There goes the limb! I never had any luck leaving oats on top of the ground like we do with rye. My theory is, the oats have a lot more hull around the germ - which is what makes them bigger. As a result its hard to get enough moisture into the germ where it all starts. Then, when the oat does get wet enough, it's even harder to keep it germination-moist if its on the surface. Just my observation....

I didn't ask for more info, I suggested some info to start with would help.

Oats are real cheap so you really don't have much to lose. They offer the early season draw for the deer. If this is a plot that will be hunted I suggest throwing in 5lbs per acre of ground hog forage radish also.

Agree that the oats need to be covered up.

No I asked for more info. Just not correctly I guess. I planted oats once. Just broadcast it and it grew gang busters. I did broadcast on a site that was previously disked so I could put down plastic and plant trees. The oats were in between the the rows of trees.

Maybe the fact that I broadcast into freshly disked ground helped. I'm sure the first hard rain drove it down and covered it.

Planning on oats and rye this fall. Maybe I should drill rather than broadcast. I'm planning on killing clover to make that happen and the clover is pretty thick.

It may depend on your soils but I get better germination rates surface broadcasting Winter Rye than I do oats.

I've had excellent success with oats for the past two years - two plots throw and mow, one plot throw and roll. S.E. Louisiana with sandy loam and pretty decent thatch.

I have had great success surface broadcasting oats onto tilled ground. Cant say with throw and mow.

Does anyone plant oats in the late summer/early fall?

If so, what were your results?

Thanks for everyone that has shared. I am in Missouri. I'm leaning towards mixing it in with little to lose. I'm hoping to get out enough to do some filling in of any thin spots with rye if there is poor germination on the first round

I planted oats in a mix this spring because I needed cheap filler to get my order of seed to 300 lbs for a deal of freight shipping, that said, it is growing, albeit slow. I till, so your results could be different. It germinated fast, broadcast over top of a well prepped bed. My first time growing oats so time will tel if it is a go to item for me or not.

Does anyone plant oats in the late summer/early fall?

If so, what were your results?
Yes I plant oats with my LC mix late Aug early Sept., they will die off after some frosts.

I threw some oats in my fall mix last year. Thatch was very spotty so the oats only germinated where they were covered. Rye germinated even where it wasn't. I used feed oats so they were cheap enough not to worry about. I'll be using it in my LC mix again this fall.

I plant around Sept. 1 and I often mix the oats and rye. I think the attractant of the oats is a little better, but I like the fact that all my rye comes back in the spring for an early food source and the turkeys love it. Its great for keeping the weeds down into my spring planting. Its a win-win.

I did oats and rye in my mix last year Labor Day weekend, along with radishes and clover. I sprayed, mowed and disced new ground on old logging roads, broadcast oats and rye, cultipacked, seeded clover and radish and cultipacked again. I didn't really cover the oats and rye but it dad get pressed into the soil. Rye and oats grew really well and the oats lasted through the first couple frosts. We did have fortunate rains off and on for the first two weeks after I seeded.