Buck Forage Oats

I dumped my bags of rye seed into five gallon buckets, putting one-third of a bushel (about three gallons) of seed in each. Then I added water to about the four gallon mark. After that, I let the seed soak for about 20 hours. Then I spread the seed one handful at a time. Just one week later, I had a good stand of 3" tall winter rye already, despite no rain.

I dumped my bags of rye seed into five gallon buckets, putting one-third of a bushel (about three gallons) of seed in each. Then I added water to about the four gallon mark. After that, I let the seed soak for about 20 hours. Then I spread the seed one handful at a time. Just one week later, I had a good stand of 3" tall winter rye already, despite no rain.

Interesting. Good way to get them germinated but how do they not die if there is no moisture in the soil?

I did a recent deep dive into this question, and from what I've read so far it seems Whitetail Institute oats stay green the longest. I'm planning to buy a bag for next season.

I'm on a property East ofnthe UP in Ontario, so the conditions there are probably similar. I have a bunch of rye, wheat, and oats from a local ag supplier in Gore Bay that I will test out next season along with the WI oats and some rye from Merit in Ohio. I know that doesn't help you now, but hopefully the side by side trial will reveal something useful for the future.

As far as oats go, I have never found one that deer like more than whitetail institutes winter oats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as oats go, I have never found one that deer like more than whitetail institutes winter oats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How long do deer typically use your WI oats?

How long do deer typically use your WI oats?
I haven't used them for quite sometime now. I did think about it this past year but with the dry conditions I opted to take the cheaper rout.

My deer like rye as well, and it is the first thing to green up in the spring for early food. We mix BFO with rye, but I don't think it's worth the expense, myself. My hunting buddy likes to buy / plant it with rye.

Anybody ever did side by side comparison between Buck forage Oats and the regular oats you get at the elevator or feed store? I dont really care about deer presference as much as I wonder about cold tolerance. My hunting land is in the Upper Penninsual of Michigan so zone 4. If there is some evidence that they stay green a few weeks later into the season then that might justify the cost. If you have any experience with this product would love to hear it.
I haven't done a side by side comparison but I bought oat seed directly from a farmer last year and planted my plots with that seed. I got excellent results and the seed cost a fraction of what I would have paid at the seed store.

I haven't done a side by side comparison but I bought oat seed directly from a farmer last year and planted my plots with that seed. I got excellent results and the seed cost a fraction of what I would have paid at the seed store.
One thing to take into consideration is that I live in NW Louisiana. It gets horribly cold here but probably not as cold as it gets in Michigan.

Skye King----------Yes I would bet it gets much colder in Michigan's Upper Penninsula than in Louisiana. How many feet of snow do you get in a typical winter?

One thing to take into consideration is that I live in NW Louisiana. It gets horribly cold here but probably not as cold as it gets in Michigan.
I think we may have different definitions of horribly cold. ;)

Yep, I can agree with that statement. I will take “ Louisiana horribly cold” over what you guys have any day. I don’t want to go outside if it gets below 20 degrees.

Skye King----------Yes I would bet it gets much colder in Michigan's Upper Penninsula than in Louisiana. How many feet of snow do you get in a typical winter?
We measure our snow fall in inches when we get snow. Mostly we get ice.