Oak/ chestnut seedling. Protection

I buy 20’ rebar and cut them twice so I end up with 6’8” stakes for my 60” tubes. I cut the whole pile of rebar at once with a gas hot saw took me30min to make 600 stakes.

Last edited:
How much does rhe rebar cost?

I used 4 ft tree protection supply tubes on oaks and didn't have good luck tubing chestnuts so I cage them
That's interesting to hear. Were they seedlings or bare root trees? It seems like a lot of people have success with chestnut seedlings in tree tubes.

I'm going to be planting several dozen chestnut seedlings and was planning on using tubes this spring.

I prefer to use 1/2" schedule 40 PVC for tree tubes. I think it's the perfect amount of rigidity for tree tubes to withstand wind and provide some flex for the young trees. For 5-ft tree tubes I like to use either a 5-ft or a 6-ft PVC length stake.

Bareroot and I used some conduit also but found I had to put duct tape around the tube and conduit or it would spin in the wind.I had better luck with the treated stakes from tree pro.Shipping is biggest cost of tubes so if you can split a shipment with someone this cut per tube price down

How much does rhe rebar cost?
I think it was $6 a stick last time I bought it hate to price it now with all the Brandon inflation.

I got a line on 500 used t posts, I could run hot wire along them, I think I will be sure to cage the chestnuts

I’ve used t-posts they work ok but for maintenance the little nobby things that keep the fence from sliding down are a pain in rear to slide the tubes up to clean or trim the young trees. For just a few trees this may not be an issue. I’ve used both 1/2” and 3/8” rebar.

I used to use 5/4 decking boards 10' long cut in half and ripped lengthwise into 5 pieces. Had a fair amount of them break at knots in heavy wind and others warp so bad you couldn't keep them straight at all. Switched to 10' pieces of 1/2" pvc cut in half and like them much better. Bought 25 more today at Menards in fact for $4.49 each which is about $1.00 more than I paid last year. They flex in the wind and when an occasional buck hits them. Easier to slide the tube up for cleaning. The tube will twist around them occasionally if you have a very small seedling in it.

Promise you, cows won't leave tubed trees alone.
Sold the cows in 2019, but Hell, even the deer won't leave a tube on 'em if just hooked on a little 3/8" fiberglass fence post...they lift them right off, then rub the hell out of them. Guess I'm gonna have to go to T-posts.

I am gonna have to use electric fencing to have any hope imo

I prefer to use 1/2" schedule 40 PVC for tree tubes. I think it's the perfect amount of rigidity for tree tubes to withstand wind and provide some flex for the young trees. For 5-ft tree tubes I like to use either a 5-ft or a 6-ft PVC length stake.
This is the way to go. It allows the tree to sway in the wind building a stronger tree in the long run. Use a piece of 1/2" inner diameter PVC cut about 10" or so shorter than your post as a post guide for sinking your tube posts.

This is the way to go. It allows the tree to sway in the wind building a stronger tree in the long run. Use a piece of 1/2" inner diameter PVC cut about 10" or so shorter than your post as a post guide for sinking your tube posts.
Do you have any photos?

How does the pvc work in rocky ground?

Do you have any photos?
For example, the white post would be your pvc tube post. The gray "guide tube" is used to stop the flex of the tube post as you drive it into the ground. So the gray guide needs to be shorter the amount you want your tube post buried in the ground. Clear as mud eh? LOL

Attachments

• 20220222_145706257_iOS.jpg
    20220222_145706257_iOS.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220222_145655360_iOS.jpg
    20220222_145655360_iOS.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 18
So what are the cons of tubing fruit trees and chestnut trees?

So what are the cons of tubing fruit trees and chestnut trees?
I think the consensus lately is tubing hardwoods is ok but fruit trees prefer more air movement so using a mesh or wire screen type wrap is preferred for those tree types.

I tubed my first fruit trees and got some kind of mold or fungus on them