Oak/ chestnut seedling. Protection

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Hello. I may have about 200 seedlings this year to plant.

I can’t get my head around building that many wire cages with rebar rods.
are there any easier options out there?
thanks in advance.

Another option ... you might start with 25-50, protected appropriately, and repeat the same for 4-5 years in a row. Many on this site will probably tell you .... quality beats quantity almost always (unless you have an extremely low deer population).

I tubed about 150 last spring and bought 600 more tubes for this spring.

As a side note if you think you have 200 trees on the way order at least an extra 25% more tubes for the extra ones you just can’t resist ordering and planting or seed starting.

I have not had issues with oak trees in tubes

It seems that oaks are less affected by the biblical plethora of plagues associated with fruit trees and tubes

bill

Standard tubes or double wides?

thanks!

I talked to the company, what a cool experience!

they seem on the ball.

5 foot tree tubes might be an option?
This is what I do. Tree Pro's have been great for oaks.

Have you had the tubes exposed to grazing cattle?

This is what I do. Tree Pro's have been great for oaks.
What size do you recommend, what type of stake? Thanks
buddy.

Have you had the tubes exposed to grazing cattle?
Good luck. I'd think the cows would rub and break them off fairly quickly (at least at my place). I really think you are going to need some cages with at least 2 t-posts per tree.

I use old bail feed rings in areas that the cattle have access to protect the tubes.

Last edited:
What size do you recommend, what type of stake? Thanks
buddy.
I use 5'. Anything less than that and it will get browsed when they get out of the top. I use oak stakes. The pine stakes snap off too easily, imo.

I use 5'. Anything less than that and it will get browsed when they get out of the top. I use oak stakes. The pine stakes snap off too easily, imo.
Do you think the stake needs to be 5 foot?

Pretty sure the stakes are 6'.
I've got trees that have been in the tubes for 5+ years. They serve as protection from bucks rubbing.

I used 4 ft tree protection supply tubes on oaks and didn't have good luck tubing chestnuts so I cage them