Not what you want to find shed hunting

davidhelmly

5 year old buck +
I had several hours to shed hunt yesterday and found one side of a spike pretty early on, after lunch I went and started walking a creekbottom that a buck my wife and I were hot and heavy after last year used a lot. I was hoping to possibly find one of his sheds to let me know he was still alive because he dropped off of our radar late last Oct, instead I found his entire skeleton. I hated finding him but at least now I know, needless to say that put a damper on a good day!7491D287-94C0-4D87-A7F8-22373B06D17B.jpegE9A93517-CF3D-4D11-BD67-2E24617FCE98.jpeg6BD82F02-AA41-42BF-A6C4-3FA60ACEC583.jpeg

You sure hate to find them like that.

At least you know, I hate they just disappear after being a home base buck for 3-4 years and none of the neighbors have taken them.

Same here, definitely bittersweet. Had this guy on cam in late August. Found him down in our creekbotton also.

Attachments

• 20180301_111339.jpg
    20180301_111339.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 77
Same here, definitely bittersweet. Had this guy on cam in late August. Found him down in our creekbotton also.
What a shame!!

Man that sucks! At least you know and your not hunting a ghost this coming season. If legal hang it up somewhere so you at least know the area will produce nice deer like that!

Dang, that looks like a old mature deer. You found him by the creek, are you thinking EHD was his demise?

That's the worst....

I really think we tend to underestimate the number of deer that are hit during archery season and are not recovered or die later from the wound. Especially big bodied tough bucks that many hunters "just couldn't pass on the shot" no matter how risky the shot was.

Dang, that looks like a old mature deer. You found him by the creek, are you thinking EHD was his demise?
He disappeared a little later than I would think EHD but we did have a warm October, I would say it's possible.

I really think we tend to underestimate the number of deer that are hit during archery season and are not recovered or die later from the wound. Especially big bodied tough bucks that many hunters "just couldn't pass on the shot" no matter how risky the shot was.
I think we underestimate the number of deer that die from natural causes also, we have a good age structure and sex ratio so we have some wicked fighting every year. During our late season it's tough to see a mature buck that isn't broken up, the rut definitely takes a toll on them. I shed hunt quite a bit every spring and probably average finding 4-5 deadhead bucks every year that died from who knows what, last year was a record high at 10 and this year only 1 so far...

Yep that sucks.
At least you found him so you can still appreciate the rack for years, hopefully he passed on his genetics so you wont have to wait long to see a similar one.

Drives me nuts. I'm leaning more and more toward banning it.

Drives me nuts. I'm leaning more and more toward banning it.

It doesnt matter if its a 300 ultra mag, a .22 or an arrow. Proper shot placement will put a deer down in a short time.

It doesnt matter if its a 300 ultra mag, a .22 or an arrow. Proper shot placement will put a deer down in a short time.

Of course. However, wounding animals is far more likely with an arrow or a .22 than it is with a .300 magnum. Because arrows and .22s are not very effective killers.

Of course. However, wounding animals is far more likely with an arrow or a .22 than it is with a .300 magnum. Because arrows and .22s are not very effective killers.
I don't know about a .22 but you're certainly wrong about an arrow, you are obviously a gun guy so I won't get into that conversation.

What it boils down to is the average hunter does not shoot his weapon of choice nearly enough or practice hunting situation shots. The first arrow i shoot out of my bow every summer hits the bullseye every time at twenty yards from the ground. Does that mean I dont have to keep practicing on a regular basis? Absolutely not!! Everything goes right out the window when that big buck walks into range. Bottom line the more you practice the more prepared you are when the situation presents itself. I cant imagine anyone puts that many rounds through their ultra mag and calls it a day because their arm feels like its going to fall off and they have to go to the bank for a small loan to afford it. Personally I quit hunting firearms season for deer because ive never shot a deer past 40 yards with a gun and inside 50 yards with a bow im more accurate than with a deer sized caliber firearm due to recoil and flinching. I did have a deer get away from me 2 years ago and even with the heaviest hitting rifle that deer would still be fine today.

Shot placement is king a heart shot deer is a heart shot deer. It will die every time and in a short distance gun or bow.

A 22 will kill a deer no problem. Hollow point .22 through the lungs or heart equals dead deer.

I don't know about a .22 but you're certainly wrong about an arrow, you are obviously a gun guy so I won't get into that conversation.

Calm down, David. I've shot three deer with a crossbow. One got away after bleeding like crazy for a quarter mile. Arrows just aren't that effective. That's why people switched to guns.

A 22 will kill a deer no problem. Hollow point .22 through the lungs or heart equals dead deer.

That's just not true. A .22 would struggle to kill a deer. That's why they are illegal.