Norway Spruce issues??

Might be just a natural phenomenon but we've had so many pests and invasives over the last few decades this this makes me paranoid that's it's yet another problem. Man, our woods and waters are sick
Many of those pests and invasives are the result of global trade and lack of agencies to inspect and treat imported goods. We're paying for many things now that could have been avoided - huge losses in high quality timber, vineyard crops lost, fruit crops lost, landscape plants lost - or lots of $$$$$$ spent to spray & treat those invasives. All that adds up to higher prices for food, lumber, wine, etc. I had to replace an ash tree because of EAB - one more invasive bug. Asian spotted lantern flies cost me $$$ every year to treat my trees so we don't lose them. Those little menaces came into my county from a shipment of ornamental stone from Southeast China and Viet Nam. No adequately-funded and adequately-manpowered agency to inspect shipments and spray for invasive pests. We're sure spending $$$$ BILLIONS to deal with them now that they're here - and it's not going to stop. Inspecting and spraying 1 SHIPMENT could have stopped the lantern fly plague.

Pay me now, or ----- pay MUCH MORE later.

I hope your trees turn out OK. I haven't seen spruce like that around here - I need to start looking at local ones.

There's lots of this in NC PA under hemlocks.
Our native hemlocks are suffering and dying from another foreign invasive pest - hemlock wooly adelgid. This branch tips on hemlocks thing may be something else - hope not. We've lost some BIG hemlocks around camp to the adelgid. Sap-sucking killers.

Red squirrels came over from Europe on ships in the 1700's.

Trail camera and rake up the spots so you can see new activity.