Norway Spruce issues??

Tap

5 year old buck +
Is anyone else seeing problems with Norway Spruce? I have a couple that have lots of branch tips on the ground, and I've seen some on nearby properties (5+ miles away) with the same issue? I never noticed this before. Is it normal or do we have yet another pest? This is in SW PA.
Thanks for any replies.20230111_135706.jpg
20230111_135706.jpg20230111_135801.jpg

New to me. They look like they were cut/chewed - maybe by some critter??

Did you recently have some heavy snow or ice that could have accumulated on the branches and caused the weaker tips to snap off?

I have the same thing with red pine. I think it may be something in the tree eating buds.

Did you recently have some heavy snow or ice that could have accumulated on the branches and caused the weaker tips to snap off?
No. Winter has been very mild except for that cold snap around Christmas. But this was happening before then.

New to me. They look like they were cut/chewed - maybe by some critter??
No idea. Nothing has changed here as far as I know. We do have some red squirrels but they've been here for years.

I have the same thing with red pine. I think it may be something in the tree eating buds.
Do you suspect that it's some sort of insect type pest that's actually inside the stem? Or are you saying it's something like squirrels, mice, etc?

Do you suspect that it's some sort of insect type pest that's actually inside the stem? Or are you saying it's something like squirrels, mice, etc?

Tend to think it is rodents as I have only noticed in last 4-5 weeks.

No idea. Nothing has changed here as far as I know. We do have some red squirrels but they've been here for years.
The thing is ...... the tips don't look diseased or weakened - like they froze or lacked water. They look to be cut/chewed off. They look too GOOD to be a disease??

I wouldn't think insects would be too active in winter and those look pretty fresh.

I'm in SE MN and I have some red cedars that lost a similar amount of branch tips recently, but I'm pretty sure that was related to some heavy ice and snow accumulation. If rodents were eating them I think there should be some tooth marks on the branches.

My yard is full of them, they were from the recent storms the last few weeks. We never got crazy snow but did have cold temps and wind. The one storm around Xmas was rain which then temps dropped 40 degrees in a matter of an hour or two and then pretty decent winds. I have lived here 26 years and have never had a yard full of spruce debris like I do now,

My yard is full of them, they were from the recent storms the last few weeks. We never got crazy snow but did have cold temps and wind. The one storm around Xmas was rain which then temps dropped 40 degrees in a matter of an hour or two and then pretty decent winds. I have lived here 26 years and have never had a yard full of spruce debris like I do now,
This.
Our lost alot this past storm. I've seen it before here.

It's really sporadic. I have norways 5 yards away from the one in my pic that have not lost any tips. These trees have the same amount of exposure to wind and temps. I would think this would be a little more consistent.
I drive a school bus and all along my route I see the same thing. Lots of norway with zero issues and a 30 feet away is a tree with hundreds of tips on the ground.

Looks like red squirrel damage. See if you can catch them in the act. I have seen them do that to Thuja before

Interesting. Thanks for posting this info.

I’ll have to take a walk and inspect my Serbian Spruce…that cold snap was severe we got. There was rain that froze on the trees too that one night. Could be environmental stress. I installed burlap wind screens this year to protect from winter winds. So far it was worth the time…can see and feel the difference when squatting behind the 5’ tall V barriers.

Is anyone else seeing problems with Norway Spruce? I have a couple that have lots of branch tips on the ground, and I've seen some on nearby properties (5+ miles away) with the same issue? I never noticed this before. Is it normal or do we have yet another pest? This is in SW PA.

I’ve seen this randomly while driving around, caught my eye as well. Interesting 🤔

I’ve seen this randomly while driving around, caught my eye as well. Interesting 🤔
The key word here is "randomly".
If it was caused by a weather situation, then why is one tree highly effected and the next tree just 25 feet away totally normal?
I too have been seeing this very randomly while driving around. I 1st noticed it with a few of my trees, that's what made me notice the same thing in trees 9 miles from my trees.
And I've never seen rodents make this kind of damage. Seems like if rodents "prey" on any part of a conifer, it's the cones that they go after. I have lots of pines of different varieties which have a ton of bits and pieces of cone laying on the ground. I've eaten pine nuts and they are delicious. Rodents seem to like pine nuts too.

It's a head-scratcher, Tap. I'm interested to read if anyone has a solid answer.

It's a head-scratcher, Tap. I'm interested to read if anyone has a solid answer.
It's one of those things...Once you are aware of something, the more you see it.
I'm seeing it all over my township.
Might be just a natural phenomenon but we've had so many pests and invasives over the last few decades this this makes me paranoid that's it's yet another problem. Man, our woods and waters are sick.