All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-electric plot fence?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Just ran across an article from Outdoor Life where a guy is trying a dual fence system of simple flagging tape instead of electric fence. It just came out, and I don't believe there is an update yet. Interesting concept, but i'm not sure that would work. What say you?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2014/06/how-make-your-own-dual-perimeter-deer-fence

What say me?.......Bahahahahahahahahahaha!

on the latest episode of growingdeer.tv they show a night video of a young buck going to take a sniff of the electric wire of a dual fence system, needless to say the spark was clearly visible, Im betting the shock factor is a huge part of the dual fence system. But it would sure make it a lot cheaper if you didnt have to buy the solar fencer.

I saw that too. Very cool video. A week or two ago, I asked about the reasoning for a double fence, and they responded right away.

Non electric might work just fine on previously educated deer.

I've wondered if a guy could get away not having to electrify the inner 2 strands. A deers gonna walk right through that garabage. That tape is like paper. I bet his experiment would work a hell of a lot better if he had a hot exterior line.
700' of tape for $7, ok that's cheap but won't last much more than a season. Ever have a roll of that contractors tape get wild, it's a mess.
I bought a mile of 14 gauge wire for $86 and it will last years. I'm gonna paint it in the spool for better visibility. I'm a plot fence rookie, but I do know you'll have to have at least that outside wire hot