All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No till drill seed seed mix dilemma

Ncwoodsman

A good 3 year old buck
So I have all my plots sprayed and prepped and they are brown and crispy and ready for seed, some have more thatch than others but they look good but I need some advice. I will be planting a mixture of ww/oats, left over soybeans, crimson clover and tillage radishes. Since the seed depths on the clover/radish will be much shallower than the grains and beans should I drill everything in together and try to keep my depth shallow or my second option is hand broadcast my clover and radishes in first then drill in the rest of my seed which would act as a cultipacker to work the seed in that i had broadcast.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to food plotting.
Thanks !

So I have all my plots sprayed and prepped and they are brown and crispy and ready for seed, some have more thatch than others but they look good but I need some advice. I will be planting a mixture of ww/oats, left over soybeans, crimson clover and tillage radishes. Since the seed depths on the clover/radish will be much shallower than the grains and beans should I drill everything in together and try to keep my depth shallow or my second option is hand broadcast my clover and radishes in first then drill in the rest of my seed which would act as a cultipacker to work the seed in that i had broadcast.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to food plotting.
Thanks !

If your no-till drill has a cultipacker rather than individual row closers, I would broadcast everything but the beans first and then drill them on top. The drill will scatter enough dirt as it opens the rows and with the cultipacker pressing in the seed, you will be fine.

Thanks,

Jack

It doesn't have a cultipacker it's just a standard no till drill. I has just think drilling seed in and driving over it would cultipack the ground somewhat. The thatch is a little heavy to get good seed to soil contact with that cereal grains I think

I have been planting a mix of WW, oats, radish, turnips, rape and clovers together in one pass with a seed drill in lightly worked ground for 3 years and have never had a bad stand of the turnips, rape and radish. I'm in the piedmont of NC.

That's good news what depth do you have your drill set up for

Anyone else have any advice ?

Personally I think you would be fine drilling at 1/4 inch or less. Depending on the drill the stuff coming out of the large seed box drops at the openers and will land in the trench and the press wheel will hit most of it. The small seed tubes are usually back further and seeds will hit the ground everywhere.
Your cultipacker is just icing on the cake.

moisture is more the limiting factor on how well it takes.

Does your drill have a small seed box? With that mix, I'd put clover and maybe radish in the small seed box. Radish will work out of either box, clover is the issue.

Ya the drill has a small seed box, the crimson clover I have is coated so the seeds are a little bigger

I second using the small seed box for radish and clover. They will mix and flow well from a small seed box. Then you can put the larger seeds where they are more apt to find moisture and the others will just drop on top. You likely have press wheels or drag chains following each row, they will get you the seed to soil contact necessary for the small seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk