Nice tractor/loader/brush hog

^ Good find. Hard to wrong on a tractor like that.

^ That would make a lot more sense than a Ford N tractor. ;) Three pretty good candidates above. I could operate nicely with any of those. OTOH.....I sure like a hydrostatic tranny and things like cruise control. :cool: I'm spoiled. :rolleyes:

How do you pop the clutch on a hydro? :p

Who needs cruise when you have a hand throttle? ;)

How do you pop the clutch on a hydro? :p

Who needs cruise when you have a hand throttle? ;)

Actually my automotive-style cruise control is very handy. After making a turn while planting (for example) just hit the "resume" button and your speed is the same as before you turned. Makes things like planting, fertilizer apps, mowing, etc very easy to do.

Positioning the tractor with a loader or stump grinder is infinitely easier with a hydro. Loader operation is a joy when you don't have to shift. :p

Been driving stick for 25 years. I don't think anything of shifting. In fact, I like the control.

Each had there advantage. Loader work with a hydro you just can't beat it. Cruise is also sweet.

Last edited:
I think it comes down to personal preference. I prefer to have a clutch, a throttle, and a brake. Gives you more control, and full power transmission. No friction losses, and much less heat.

Actually my automotive-style cruise control is very handy. After making a turn while planting (for example) just hit the "resume" button and your speed is the same as before you turned. Makes things like planting, fertilizer apps, mowing, etc very easy to do.

Positioning the tractor with a loader or stump grinder is infinitely easier with a hydro. Loader operation is a joy when you don't have to shift. :p
Cruise sounds sweet. Is that dealer installed or a DIY?

I think Foggy put an automotive system on his.

Cruise sounds sweet. Is that dealer installed or a DIY?

I had the "regular cruise" that comes with the e-hydro on the 20 series tractors. I think I paid about $100 to JD Parts for the upgraded "Automotive Cruise" - which is a DIY, plug and play wiring harness. Biggest feature is the "resume" button to easily get back to your previous speeds. .....but there are some other features too....like the "roll-out" after tapping the brake, load match, etc. I have pretty much set those and left 'em alone.

It may take an hour or so to install - with the biggest issue being the switch(s) install in the right "console". Pretty easy.

I found myself using the cruise allot with the planter operation. Consistent seed drop / operation of the planter. Nice. :)

I had the "regular cruise" that comes with the e-hydro on the 20 series tractors. I think I paid about $100 to JD Parts for the upgraded "Automotive Cruise" - which is a DIY, plug and play wiring harness. Biggest feature is the "resume" button to easily get back to your previous speeds. .....but there are some other features too....like the "roll-out" after tapping the brake, load match, etc. I have pretty much set those and left 'em alone.

It may take an hour or so to install - with the biggest issue being the switch(s) install in the right "console". Pretty easy.

I found myself using the cruise allot with the planter operation. Consistent seed drop / operation of the planter. Nice. :)
If it's handy, do you have the part number? It always helps to know what your looking for when you head to the parts department.

Thanks!