Too thick for deer?

turkeyhunter20

Yearling... With promise
This area was basically a small clear cut on our property 4 years ago on a flat in the head of a long hollow. It’s a great spot for bedding, but I’ve let it get away from me and now it’s a 7’ tall impenetrable wall of briar from this flat about 100yds down the hollow. I can’t find any trails through it, only some browse and trails around the edge. What’s the best method for thinning this many briars in an area i can’t get a tractor to with a brush hog?

Attachments

• CCE7877C-DC83-414F-B68B-4DEE2294828A.jpeg
    CCE7877C-DC83-414F-B68B-4DEE2294828A.jpeg
    934.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 3F70A555-C2AF-418F-804D-6D59C4626E46.jpeg
    3F70A555-C2AF-418F-804D-6D59C4626E46.jpeg
    935.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 99BCF1CC-CC07-47B3-9C64-9D8A490276A9.jpeg
    99BCF1CC-CC07-47B3-9C64-9D8A490276A9.jpeg
    946.9 KB · Views: 44
You could cut a trail through it with one of the hedge trimmer attachments (or brush blade if you prefer) like Stihl sells for weed eaters with exchangeable implements. Then you can walk through with a backpack sprayer using Remedy Ultra and kill as much as you want.

Oh my! Sir! It's perfect just the way it is! Perfect deer cover. They will get into it and out of it because they like the security it brings. Hunting it is another issue all together.

I agree with both. I have some ground in Ohio that this thicker than a sasquatch undercarriage and you will see tracks in and out come winter. When in doubt cut a path but to Farmer Dan's point....do so with a purpose so they exit where its is good for them and great for you.

briers.jpg

I have a couple three areas similar to this on the new farm very thick brush/brambles excellent rabbit habitat for sure deer will defiantly use it also.

Instead of thinning it you should be looking for ways to make it thicker!

When the bucks are harassing the does I bet the does will be in there hiding.

In late summer, giant ragweed and marsh elder will take over a food plot. You can not find a single deer track in there or a single piece of browsed giant ragweed. Bush hog it and it will be covered up with tracks.

My deer prefer overstory with open understory for thermal cover. Allows for a breeze for cooling in the 110 degree heat and keeping the hordes of mosquitoes at bay

IMG_7374.jpeg

Thick is good, stickers and briars even better. When deer get pressured they will dive in it like bunnies.
If you think you need you need a trail though it for hunting borrow or rent a tracked skid steer with brush attachment.

I don't like the super thick briar patches and I don't think deer do either. They may use it if human pressure is very high but unpressured deer prefer country they can move in and escape predators in. I have briar patches all over my farm and am doing all I can to open them up. I'm with swamp cat above. Same. deal in Mexico where there are some impenetrable brush thickets. When I first started there thats where I thought Id find the bucks. Turns out they are in the more open country. Thickets get them eaten by lions. We roller chop the heaviest country on the ranch then the deer love it.

Cut Trails threw it ! Can you tip a tree or two by it ?

This area was basically a small clear cut on our property 4 years ago on a flat in the head of a long hollow. It’s a great spot for bedding, but I’ve let it get away from me and now it’s a 7’ tall impenetrable wall of briar from this flat about 100yds down the hollow. I can’t find any trails through it, only some browse and trails around the edge. What’s the best method for thinning this many briars in an area i can’t get a tractor to with a brush hog?
Where are you located? Here in south I just don’t see deer in my thick brambles. I leave about 10 acres down a gully every year as thick and messy as you can get. I side of hill every year thinking”that big boy is gonna come out id there right at dark to head to field.” It hasn’t happened yet. I scan with my thermal and I’ve never seen one bedded in there.

Native is right on triclopyr. I like triclopyr 4. If you want to keep some grassy cover, use abour 1 quart/acre. If you want to really knock it back use 1.5-2.

You can also spray the leaves of any tree you don’t want it it will be dead as a door nail.

This is a question I wrestle with at my property. I've hunted one piece for 20 to 25 years that has lots of small open, sharp ridge tops with wooded sides. There are several smaller food plots. For several years we saw some good bucks. We then had a cedar harvest and things thickened up. We also planted NWSG. Things thickened up more over time and the buck sightings decreased. About 12 years ago I added on with a similar size parcel that adjoins it. It's a cattle farm. This property has a slightly older class of trees with large, open fields that join in the center. It has fescue as opposed to NWSG. I consistently see more bucks on the 2nd parcel during early and late season. During the heat of the rut, I see an equal number of bucks but I probably see the same bucks more often on the cattle farm and see travelers on the other farm. Movement is harder to predict on the first. Rabbits are more abundant on the 1st parcel and turkey are equal in numbers on each (but perhaps easier to hunt on the cattle farm). I've done cuts on both. I have seen does utilize the cuts to some extent on the 1st and thicker property. I haven't seen any benefit to bucks on this one though. Compare that to the cattle farm where I have seen bucks use areas where I cut timber.

Heres a thought that I and others have missed thus far..... how does this compare to everything around there?

If we are discussing things in the vacuum of deer hunting, this is all contextual. If everyone in the neighborhoods place looks like that, or you only have that on your property ...its not good. If youre surrounded by ag and that is the only cover around; dont break a twig. If your goal is timber management, or ag land....nuke it..... but to me, this is a deer based forum and frankly the only lenses in my glasses are deer based.

My place in Ohio has 50-60% of the acerage that thick or more. I was hell bent on getting rid of it THEN i noted i was the only one with it (so its different). It has trails in it (edge- and deer love edge) and anywhere I cut a new trail the deer used it (hunting opp). Its a bizzo to maintain and God forbid you just let it be for a few years...but it can be cleared/reclaimed to which i am/have planted food, trees and shrubs to offset the lack of food value (as mine has a lot of invasive species that dont offer much dietary value as they do cover). Another perk....if you have trespassing in the area; this chit is a deterrent.

Just some thoughts.....

We went into our sanctuary a number of years back and clear cut just about anything that didn't have future timber value. the regrowth has been spectactular and it holds deer.

Some of it was done about 8-10 years ago, some of it 4-5 years ago and the 8-10 years ago stuff is just about right now. Man it's fun to see the edges and the deer pour out of it. We hunt around it and let them be in there. It's a good system.

There is a heck of a difference between thick cover with a few briers and an impenetrable, solid, monoculture thicket of 7 foot tall blackberry briers. I realize that such brier patches don’t exist everywhere, but if you’ve ever seen one, you will know what I’m talking about. I guarantee you that no deer would attempt to push through one under any circumstances.

Yes, deer will plow right through high stem count saplings and NWSGs with ease and love doing it , but solid, large brier patches is a different tale.

I'm with the cut trails through it group. Back when I was a kid, we had no deer around. It was rare to see a track. It was open woods and cattle pasture. The neighbor passed away and the cows were taken off the property. They let me ride horses over there. There was a field they let start growing up. The first thing that came up were briars and pines. There were lots of early successional plants. It wasn't too long before deer appeared in there. I rode horses through it and kept trails open weaving in and out. I would see deer regularly in an area that didn't have many. But, once the briars got too tall and out of reach of the deer, the bottom underneath became bare. It was impenetrable wasteland below the food above. The deer use dropped dramatically, pines overtook the overstory, and briars started dwindling away. There's a point were it outgrows its usefulness to deer. Set it back to where they can use it for both food and cover. If you can put firebreaks around it, burn it. If not, weave trails in and out, and set it back with chemicals. Keep it at the stage where they can bed in it, but still reach the good stuff.

Last edited:
Where are you located? Here in south I just don’t see deer in my thick brambles. I leave about 10 acres down a gully every year as thick and messy as you can get. I side of hill every year thinking”that big boy is gonna come out id there right at dark to head to field.” It hasn’t happened yet. I scan with my thermal and I’ve never seen one bedded in there.

Native is right on triclopyr. I like triclopyr 4. If you want to keep some grassy cover, use abour 1 quart/acre. If you want to really knock it back use 1.5-2.

You can also spray the leaves of any tree you don’t want it it will be dead as a door nail.

I’m in East Tennessee. Lots of topography here. I see does pile in the thick stuff but most buck bedding I’ve found is focused around terrain, generally on the leeward side just on the edge or military crest where they have a sight advantage as well as wind direction and thermal advantage. This particular spot i believe would be a great doe bedding area because it’s within 150 yards of my food plots, but i just don’t see much getting in there unless they’re forced too. While there is heavy browse sign on the edges and it does create a good edge within the timber for deer to relate to, the vast majority of it, in my opinion, is just too thick for consistent bedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with the cut trails through it group. Back when I was a kid, we had no deer around. It was rare to see a track. It was open woods and cattle pasture. The neighbor passed away and the cows were taken off the property. They let me ride horses over there. There was a field they let start growing up. The first thing that came up were briars and pines. There were lots of early successional plants. It wasn't too long before deer appeared in there. I rode horses through it and kept trails open weaving in and out. I would see deer regularly in an area that didn't have many. But, once the briars got too tall and out of reach of the deer, the bottom underneath became bare. It was impenetrable wasteland below the food above. The deer use dropped dramatically, pines overtook the overstory, and briars started dwindling away. There's a point were it outgrows its usefulness to deer. Set it back to where they can use it for both food and cover. If you can put firebreaks around it, burn it. If not, weave trails in and out, and set it back with chemicals. Keep it at the stage where they can bed in it, but still reach the good stuff.

That’s the direction I’m leaning. While there is still plenty of browse around the edge, if you get down on deer level and look into it, not only is it tremendously thick, but there is no browse at deer level inside. I believe cutting trails through it and doing a herbicide treatment will be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk