Driveway and Camper Pad install

Spike_Horn_Shooter

5 year old buck +
Guys, this is an add on to a previous post I made inquiring about the potential cost of a driveway installation.

To recap: Bought 100 acres in March 2022. St Lawrence County NY. It’s about 3 hours from my primary residence in northern VT. Property is unique because it has exposed ledge on some of the higher portions of the property. It is thick around this exposed ledge with “prickly ash”. Lots of deer sign in the ash, but so thick you can’t even walk through. Reminds me of Ohio green briar.

Approximately 40-50 acres woods, 25 acres wetlands and 25 acres hayfield. Property is close to ag country, but not in real heavy ag country. Good deer sign so far.

Dad bought a beat up camper and we needed a place to put it - basically a place to stay in summer while working and low tax deer camp!

Wanted to build a driveway and camper pad in middle of hay field. Consult you guys, neighbors, friends and excavation contractors. Everyone advised against the hayfield because it gets wet most of the year. Found a spot close to the road on just about the highest point of the road - on ledge and thick with prickly ash.

I figured I’d be dealing with dry ledge or wet clay forever - I chose the dry ledge.

Contacted an excavation company - they were booked out until 2023. They gave me the name of a small outfit just starting out. This outfit was great to deal with. Can’t say enough good about them. They brought over a Kubota Skidsteer with a front mounted rotary mower and slammed through about .5 acres of jungle mess in a day. Heavy with rocks and close to a small 20’ drop off.

Then they brought excavator over and cleaned everything up. Next laid down driveway fabric and 8” of gravel over 250’ included entry from the road and a small turn around.

We left about 40’ of nasty tangled mess close to the road for privacy, and cleared out a little bit overlooking the big hay fields.

Cost was $3300 for the land clearing and $4900 for the driveway install.

I have a 47hp tractor that I will use to clean up more and spread a crusher run base as funds allow.

Looks great!

Looks nice! Sounds like a diverse property, you should see some immediate success. Keep an eye on the prickly ash regen, you should be able to spray to keep it controlled in your clearing. May think about planting something to replace it with so it isn't the only thing around.

If you put a gate in your driveway and have 40' of prickly ash along the road, that's about as solid of a free fence as one could ask for. Nobody wants to go through that stuff to trespass..

Looks nice! Sounds like a diverse property, you should see some immediate success. Keep an eye on the prickly ash regen, you should be able to spray to keep it controlled in your clearing. May think about planting something to replace it with so it isn't the only thing around.

If you put a gate in your driveway and have 40' of prickly ash along the road, that's about as solid of a free fence as one could ask for. Nobody wants to go through that stuff to trespass..
That’s the plan now - 2 10’ gates to keep vehicles out and a decent security camera set up.

I will have to cut a 100’ long, 2’ wide swath for power through it.

I cut about 1200’ of fence line 2-3’ wide with a brush saw and billy goat - talk about misery!

That looks like spectacular retreat to spend some time.